Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Asian Challenge Stitches

This is the first stitch for the Asian Challenge - Coral Stitch which is a knotted stitch. I chose to make mine out of silk ribbon and did not pull the knots very tight and then...

...I added some leaves and cherry blossoms to my coral stitch.

The more advanced knotted stitch that I am not sure I have mastered was knotted loop stitch or basque knot. My eyes don't see well enough to do the two loops knots aren't very even. I drew a giant leaf with lead pencil and used those lines as guidelines for my leaf...

...and then I outlined leaf with stem stitch to cover over the pencil lines. And then I added a silk and satin ribbon chrysanthemum to go with the leaf. (Well, at least that's what it's supposed to be)!

I've used the coral stitch a few times before but that basque knot stitch was new to me, well...I've seen it in books but never tried it but now I have. If I try layering it next time you won't notice my unevenness and it might be fun. I like challenges. Oh, and I might try a couple lanterns with ribbon thru them to simulate lanterns. Later...

2 comments:

Arlene Delloro said...

Great work! I need to challenge myself to do more stitches. I'm left-handed and even with books and illustrations, some stitches flumox me.

Anonymous said...

I really like your coral stitch with the ribbon... Ger