Saturday, February 20, 2021

We've Got A Runner!


Table Runner
13 x 56


To begin with I knew I wanted to use some yellow and orange floral scraps, knew I wanted a Sunflower and knew I wanted a buffet topper. 

I reviewed several different Herringbone and French Braid tutorial and then figured out my own version.

I used 2.5 x 9.5 strips and 2.5 squares. I meant to put the strips in the same order on each side of the Sunflower but somehow they got out of order and I guess that is okay. 



I made a Dresden Sunflower that would fit into a 9.5 inch square out of a variety of different yellow scraps. I hand quilted the whole thing with some odds and ends of  perle #8. 

And the main reason I'm going to make some smaller quilted items this year is because I have a lot of long but smaller width batting pieces I want to use. By smaller width I mean four inches or less. I meant to take a picture of the batting before I quilted but forgot. I used four long pieces and I used a herringbone stitch to stitch them together along the length which made it all nice for hand quilting. 



 

21 comments:

maggie fellow said...

very pretty - it fits perfectly

Linda said...

A lovely bright runner for your buffet. Love the sunflower! 🌻

grammajudyb said...

That’s a fun pattern and the sunflower is really pretty!

sue s said...

Pretty pretty! I have some long batting pieces too which I cut up for placemats.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Great use of some YELLOW scraps AND batting bits, too!!

scraphappy said...

What an adorable runner. It fits perfectly on the buffet top. Always feels so good to use up all the little leftovers AND to get a quick finish. Win win!

Kat Scribner said...

Nice finish! Pretty tablerunner. Love it.

Cathy said...

Your sunflower table runner is the essence of bright and warm and happy. I love it!!

gayle said...

Love that sunflower!
(I was going to say something about 'killing two birds with one stone', but it looks like you took out a lot more than two...)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's a great way to use a Dresden sunflower! I have a leftover one from my Scrappy Sprouts quilt - thanks for the inspiration!

---"Love" said...

That's a beautiful table runner! The sunflower speaks volumes to me after living with temps under freezing for over a week! It just warmed my heart this morning! I always stitch my skinny batting scraps together for small projects. Have fun! ---"Love"

Janie said...

Great piecing, tablerunners are cheerful!

Ivani said...

Beautiful runner, perfect for your buffet.

mangozz said...

Cute idea for a runner! It wouldn't work for me as there is too much clutter to be able to see a runner very well.

vincenzo126 said...

I have committed to making some smaller quilts this year as well. (I get carried away until I have king-sized+!) To honor that commitment I have just finished 2 French braid runners and a table topper! Yours is very pretty!
-Jean

MissPat said...

I've never done a Dresden plate block and doing one as a sunflower is a great idea. Of course, it would have taken me months to do something this intricate and you whipped it off in no time. Well done.
Pat

Pamela Arbour said...

Very nice. Only you would ever know they were out of order.

Susie H said...

Beautiful buffet runner! The order doesn't matter ... all I see is gorgeous color. Great way to use up some yellows too (along with narrow batting strips!)!

Emily said...

So pretty! I love that sunflower!

Marly said...

I love the sunflower! Great runner, and made to measure.

Jane said...

Sunflower, floral scraps, buffet runner - check, check, check.
Lovely result, and don’t mention out of order- it doesn’t show or matter.
Jane