Saturday, February 27, 2021

For the Parts Department

Over the years I've found the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) has been a fun way to use up scraps of a different color each month. I used to keep my scraps in bins by width and finally last year I emptied the 4.5, 3.5, 2.5 scrap bins. For now I'm keeping the 2 and 1.5 inch bins.  Anyway...in previous years of the RSC I would pick a block or blocks to make with scraps from each scrap bin. Now that I've emptied most of my scrap bins I now am working with scrap chunks to make my RSC blocks. I store my scrap chunks by color and define them (roughly) as anything larger or longer  than a 4.5 square and less than a Fat Quarter (FQ).   

So...now that I'm using scrap chunks I cut off whatever I need to make my RSC blocks. Then I decided I would TRY at the very end of the month to use up whatever is left of the "cut off" after I make my blocks rather than store leftover "cut offs" away anywhere or put them back in with the scrap chunks. 

At the end of the month I've been making a variety of different blocks from those "cut offs" for the Parts Department.   

I've been making Nine Patches from the 2.5 inch leftovers or I've been cutting them into squares or I've been cutting them into 2.5 x 3.5 rectangles or I sew anything less than a square into a strip. 

The 3.5 inch leftovers get made into Four Patches for the Parts Department or into squares or 2.5 x 3.5 rectangles or squares or strips. 


 The 2 inch leftovers also get sewn into Four Patches for the Parts Department or cut into squares. 



16 comments:

Julierose said...

Great idea using leftover "leftovers" ;))) Pretty blocks...hugs, Julierose

maggie fellow said...

lol leftover "leftovers" and so many other great words I have learned here. great inspiration

Linda said...

The next bin to be overflowing will be your Parts Department! Good idea to use up the scraps completely.

sue s said...

Very efficient use of leftover leftovers! My storage runs to chunks more than specific sizes, although I'm starting to collect 2 1/2" squares separately.

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

I admire your determination to use those leftovers in a meaningful way. The idea of a parts department where you have sewn parts is a good idea but I'd probably end up with lots and lots of parts that never ever became anything whole.

The Joyful Quilter said...

You've got a pretty assortment of YELLOW scraps, Cathy. Way to work through the bottom of the fabric food chain!!

Sally Trude said...

Buddy wants you to know that he is a big fan of cutoffs too. Unfortunately, he’s thinking of biting Molly’s ears. And for gathering leftovers, you have a nice variety of yellows.

grammajudyb said...

Whatever you call them, leftovers, cut offs, or parts, they make fabulous quilts. One has only to look at your posts to see how productive you are!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your 9 patches and 4 patches are going to be useful in all kinds of quilt designs! Great way to move those leftovers along.

Jenny said...

It's always such a treat to see what you come up with, using up all those bits and pieces.

Deb A said...

I love seeing what is being added to the parts department each week. You have so many great ideas to use up those scraps.

Ivani said...

You had fun with all those beautiful yellows this month, very interesting to know how you manage your leftovers, Cathy.

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

You're very organised with your scrap baskets and usage. I need to be more like you :)
Your blocks are looking great.

gayle said...

You can never have too many parts in the parts department! Especially 4-patches and 9-patches!

scraphappy said...

You came up with lots of great blocks from those extras. It is amazing that you haven't run out of scraps yet.

Pamela Arbour said...

Love your blocks and your method. I really like the idea of a parts department! LOL