Thursday, February 4, 2021

More Skinny Strings


Back in December I blogged about three quilts I was going to make with my skinny strings.  I now have two tops and am working on the third as you see above. I started with the blocks that were made with the longest strings and am now working with the blocks that use the shortest strings. For these block backgrounds I'm using an eclectic mix of floral scraps cut into 5 inch squares. For the black string centers I'm using black waste triangles.  A tutorial may be found at Den Syende Himmel. 

I have quite a pile of these blocks so maybe now is the time to figure out how many blocks I need for a quilt. I will probably aim for a 60 x 80 quilt which is my usual donation size. 

When I made the other two quilt tops the strings got shorter and shorter so I put those aside for this quilt.  Now I'm sorting through those shorter strings for the skinniest of strings because those 5 inch background squares only get strings on less than half the block so the skinnier the better. I use most that are an inch or so wide and at least 3/4 inch. 


So now I have a bag of shorter skinnier but not too skinny strings, a pile of garden ties and...

...bags of crumbs sorted by color so someday I can continue on with my big wonky crumby hourglass blocks. 

And speaking of strings...

Remember the cardinal from my last blog post? I mentioned he had me thinking of a white quilt with a wee bit of red. 



Then these 5.5 inch string blocks happened. 

Skinny white string blocks with a wee bit of red.  I made a few... 

...and sorted my white strings and found quite a few. Maybe enough for 46 blocks? 

Why 46?? 
That's how many I need for Ann's String Tulip QAL. 
Eventually, I hope, there will be some bright red tulips in the center of all my string blocks. 

 

12 comments:

Julierose said...

Oh such a pretty take on Ann's String Tulip project SAL

Hugs, Julierose

Quiltdivajulie said...

What a marvelous way to handle the AHIQ Strip Tulip QAL challenge! Love the concept inspired by that beautiful cardinal!

Lcos said...

What does your stash look like? That would be an interesting post.

audrey said...

Ooh, that tiny bit of red in the low volume strings is just beautiful!

cspoonquilt said...

I love the change of scale in the top bunch and the low volume strips are so sweet and peaceful to my eyes!

Linda said...

Oh my goodness, this is getting creepy! I follow Ann’s blog and had intended to take part in her String Tulips quilt project. Then I found out that another blogger friend Maureen in New Zealand was road testing the instructions for the project. And now you are doing it too! Serendipity?

The Joyful Quilter said...

BOTH of those projects are SEW darling, Cathy!!!

MissPat said...

Those charm square florals are delightful. Quite a happy bunch. I did look at Ann's string blocks and I like the orientation of them, but just can't start another project right now.
Pat

QuiltGranma said...

Love those pale strings! Sew pretty!

mangozz said...

ooh, I wish I could play with your neutral strings! You seem to have no lack of ideas. Do your keep a running list of all the designs you intend to work on or are they all just spinning around in your head?

Linda said...

Oh, I am loving the bit of red on white string blocks....it has a bit of elegance!

Susie H said...

Your skinny strings are pretty but I am totally wild about the idea of a predominantly white quilt with a touch of red. Gorgeous red tulips in the center will be absolutely gorgeous. Love this idea and am anxious to see you to the finish on it!