Monday, September 24, 2018

It's a Finish! Zig Zag Nine Patch

 Zig Zag Nine Patch
92 x 92

Actually I think it is one inch shorter on top width and one inch shorter on the left side. I measured all four sides several times and got different measurements each time so am just using the largest number and calling it good.  I have to confess I don't square up my quilts. I don't have the space or the tools and they serve my purpose whether they measure the same on top and bottom and on each side.  You can tell if a quilt has perfect measurements when a quilt is on a bed or on a person. 
 I like to find pictures of vintage quilts and try to figure out how to make them. 
 I had a lot of three inch nine patches on hand. Some were from swaps over the years and others I just made when I felt the urge.   I also had the solids on hand so it was meant to be. 
I hand quilted it in different colors of perle #8. The quilting really shows up well on the solid red backing. I took some pics of the backing but they turned out pretty blurry and I don't feel like retaking any so you will just have to use your imagination. Even though I haven't washed it yet the hand quilting has made it all soft and crinkly already. 

for 


19 comments:

cspoonquilt said...

That is really stunning! All those humble little 9 patches but when you put them in that setting they really pop! Of course I always love your color choices too!

cspoonquilt said...

After looking up close at the detailed picture I'm wondering how you pieced this quilt? And how did you cut the zig zags?!

Janie said...

Another scrappy masterpiece!
Great hand quilting too. I love it.

Linda said...

I absolutely love this one, Cathy! Super 9 patches, such a variety of colour ways and fabrics but set off beautifully in this zigzag setting. Brilliant. Love the red hand quilting too. This is a keeper, surely?

---"Love" said...

It really is a pretty quilt. I, too, am wondering how you cut the zig-zig solids; I don't see any seam lines in the close-up pictures. ---"Love"

Louise said...

This is one of my favorites of your quilts! So wonderfully zig zaggy! I love how the solid "stripes" repeat a few times and yet aren't in any particular order.

Squaring up quilts, or heaven forbid, blocking them, is highly over rated. I'm sure it's necessary for wall hangings and show quilts, but snuggles come in all shapes and angles. I'm happy with making ones that are snugglable :)

Cathy said...

Wowsers! This one is another that we’ll probably all be adding to out To-Make lists! I remember that you added triangles and assembled them in columns - so ingenious! And I’d be willing to bet this one is a keeper at 92x92 (roughly speaking - which is the only way to make/measure real quilts, LOL).

mangozz said...

I absolutely love this quilt, it is gorgeous! Your quilt has much better colors than the original. And to think that all the fabric was hiding in your stash - amazing!

julieQ said...

I Love it! What a great way to use up some pretty fabrics...lovely!

Nann said...

I stared at the photos. I looked closely. I looked some more. How the heck did you do the piecing?!

gayle said...

It's quilts like this that make me love nine patches as much as I do! What a beauty!
(And I'm adding ANOTHER quilt to my bucket...)

QuiltGranma said...

What a lovely finish! Isn't it wonderful when a plan comes together?

Pamela Arbour said...

Oh my! That is impressive!

Sally Trude said...

Wow! I really love that quilt...striking design because of a wonderful use of color. Awesome!

audrey said...

I love it Cathy! Great job in the quilting and finish up work. This one is just incredible.:)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is another amazing quilt! LOVE the quilting on it too!!

Sue McQ said...

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, for admitting that you do not worry about squaring up your quilts as they serve the purpose for which works for you! I, too, do not have the room to be as fiddly with this part of the quilt process. No complaints: just the way it is. This quilt is beautiful. You continue to be an inspiration. Blessings.

Kristina said...

Love this beauty!! So many scraps and colors! Nice work!

Ella said...

This quilt is making me want to attack my scrap bin and make tiny nine patches! Such a lovely quilt! Congrats, and, on behalf of the FAL crew, thank you for joining in!