Thursday, September 6, 2018

Gallimaufry


 I've made some more little four inch (finished) blocks for a quilt I'm calling Gallimaufry. 

Here is how a mixture of colors looks.  (That yellow sure sticks out like a sore thumb). 

For the little HSTs I've been using the end cuts of the 1.5 inch strips I use to cut the hourglass units for another quilt I call Vintage Thingamajigs.  I explained this in an earlier post.  The small squares come from the 1.5 inch scrap bin and the 2.5 inch squares come from the 2.5 inch scrap bin. 

According to Rocky Mountain Quilts which has the vintage top for sale: 

"This is a whimsical original rendition of an Irish Chain, which to follow the pattern needs to be viewed from a distance. How amazing would this be in a great room over a fireplace? this quilt was obviously pieced by someone who loved calicoes. No solid colors here. The fabrics date from 1860 to 1890, giving us the creation date of this piece. This is a quilt top for a fabric junkie. There are many patterns pieced on this top. Variation of diamond in a square, old maids puzzle, bow tie, broken dishes, four patch, all combined together creating the most unusual Irish Chain I have ever seen. All pieced by hand, and ready to quilt."

7 comments:

Linda said...

So many. It ypieces sewn together. Requires a lot of patience! Amazing how well all those colours work together.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

well, I like this quilt. I love little pieces stitched together in what looks like no seemed order. Then, of course, I had to look up Gallimaufry. OF COURSE that is what you would name the quilt. THEN I wondered how you even knew the word "Gallimaufry".
xx, Carol

Janie said...

Fun colors and little blocks, Cathy.
I looked through some of the quilts at Rocky Mountain Quilts,
So many beauties. Yes, there's a lot of inspiration there.

gayle said...

I love love love all the bitty pieces! Such a terrific dance of color!
(How is it possible that every quilt you make is my favorite?...)

Louise said...

I think the yellow block just needs some more yellow buddies to come play along in this quilt. "More yellow" is rarely a mistake :)

Pam @ Quilting Fun said...

Another quilt I have to make! Love your work!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Its just so happy!!! I love it!