66.5 x 73
A Jen Kingwell pattern from the book Quilt Lovely
All last year I made a few blocks each month as a Rainbow Scrap Challenge project. I have a problem choosing fabrics that go together for projects so decided to use my 3.5 inch scraps and make a few blocks each month, since they are kind of fiddly to make, with the points and midsection in the RSC color of the month. All I had to do then was pick a contrasting 3.5 inch scrap for the background and rest of the pieces of the nine patch. That scrappy method of making blocks usually works pretty well for me plus it uses up scraps. The one thing that kind of surprised me is that I had so many pink 3.5 scraps.
Jen Kingwell quilted Glitter with a vertical line through the points of the nine patch and a horizontal line across the midsection of the nine patches. I didn't want to break up all those nine patches. I wanted them to stand out.
First I hand quilted around the blocks with ecru perle #8. Then I experimented with stitching in a variety of ways but nothing seemed to work for me. I was then going to try tying with the ties ending up on the back when Carla (A Few of My Favorite Things) commented that I might want to try the Hidden Tie or International Stitch. Well, after viewing the video I thought that might be just what I needed to do. And then there was a delay because I needed to go buy a long needle but I finally got the job done. I used ecru crochet cotton #10 for the tying. I tied in the middle of each nine patch, in the seam between nine patches where the nine patches meet and in the middle of the background sections where the four four patches meet. That Hidden Tie or International Stitch was the perfect solution and gave me the look I wanted - the nine patches stand out. Now that I have the needles and thread I'm going to keep this method of tying a quilt in mind. It was quick and easy once I got the hang of it and figured out how to keep the thread from tangling up.
And since it was a scrappy quilt I used a bunch of pieces of leftover scrappy binding from the leftover scrappy binding box.
I pieced together a couple of small pieces of fabric in the same pattern I had on hand in the neutral box for the backing. I think they were pieces leftover from the background of another quilt.
I think this will be my new go-to quilt to wrap up in for book reading or just because I can.