Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Foothills Quilt Along Blocks 2 - 5

Foothills QAL blocks 2 - 5



Inspired by a vintage Bar and Chain quilt
I'm using patriotic fabrics but have a difficult time choosing all the fabrics for each block before I start making it.  (I always have a difficult time choosing fabrics for blocks and that's why I like using scraps - the choosing is done for me!) 

So my method? (Or madness?)  I start with the large HSTs. I choose 2 fabrics and make them.  Then I decide on fabrics for the Flying Geese. I'm not using the cutting instructions given for block instructions on the QAL page but using specialty rulers instead to cut my pieces. The geese use a 2 inch piece of fabric so I first look through some old patriotic scraps I have that are 2 inches to see if any scraps look good with the HSTs I've made. If not I go to the patriotic fabric box and look for something.  Above you can see I have the HSTS paired up with fabrics I chose for the Flying Geese. 
As I mentioned I use special rulers to cut the Flying Geese bodies and wings. 

After I sew together all the Flying Geese I go ahead and sew them to the HSTs and see how it all looks. 

Next I look through my scraps to see if I have something to use for the cross bars and if I don't have scraps that look good I go back to the patriotic fabric box and look for something. After cross bar fabrics are chosen and cut I decide finally on fabrics for hourglass centers.  I cut those from 2 inch strips so, again, I go look through the 2 inch scraps to see if there's anything I could use. 

And that's how I ended up with the blocks that started this post if I made any sense and wasn't rambling on too much. 

One more thing...when I cut the Flying Geese bodies and the hourglass pieces with the Easy Angle Companion ruler I also cut HST pieces before and after the Geese bodies.  That way the leftover fabric scrap stays square and I don't waste the fabric at the beginning because I can make an HST. 
I cut some muslin and made those into twenty eight 2 inch HSTs right away.  And I tucked them into a new project bag.  That darned Gayle (Mangofeet) is a temptress of the worst kind. She sent me a link to a new project that requires 2048 - two inch HSTs and then some.   We are calling it Totally Demented. 

12 comments:

gayle said...

I LOVE these blocks! I've been eyeing this sew along, but had held it off by telling myself that I already had a new project started.
So, who's the temptress? You've just pointed out that I could do both with them feeding each other...
What's that they say about resistance being futile?

Quilting Babcia said...

Totally Demented is the right name for it! I have around 500 2 inch hst's from my recently completed top but zero interest in making any more lol!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Great plan for the patriotic scrappy. It will be marvelous! I am resisting Totally Demented, unless I make a mini version.

Libby in TN said...

Kudos to you for using Easy Angle and Companion Angle for the geese! So easy and accurate and saves fabric. Love the block.

Janie said...

That's a good plan/process you have going.
And thanks for the tip on the Easy Angle and Companion Angle, I'll
look into that.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

I joined the Sew Along, but haven't figured out what fabrics I should use yet. I like your patriotic version! That quilt is definitely Demented--lol!

Londa said...

Great blocks. Loved reading how you chose the combinations for the different parts of the block. And you have 28 x 2" HSTs to start your project....... no doubt a long term one?!

mangozz said...

I always have a difficult time making fabric decisions too, that's why scrap quilts are the hardest for me to make. But I like scrappy quilts the best as far as looks go so I keep at it. Mine are always controlled scrappy. Your blocks are looking good though. Your holiday fabric stash must be dwindling.

audrey said...

These are turning out to be fantastic! I never expected any different from you though. I am trying very hard not to start this one. Yet. lol

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I am so tempted by this QAL. I really love these blocks. I just don’t have the fabrics to do it justice. And I don’t need to go buy more fabric!

Louise said...

I always enjoy visiting your blog because you say things that make sense to me. Like wanting to use scraps because the choices are already made. I don't understand planning all the fabrics out in advance and scratch my head at patterns that specify exactly what goes where. Of course, I tend to look at free patterns from fabric manufacturers, so of course they want to sell their fabric lines. So maybe that's my problem. I need to follow your lead of finding free patterns by looking at vintage quilts instead :)

I honestly think scrap quilters are born, not made. But it takes a while to generate scraps, so newer quilters like me don't know at first if we are one or not. I'm still in the embryonic scrap stage and I think Totally Demented is for those with Advanced Scraposis.

Julierose said...

I love to watch you just jump right in and make these complicated blocks!! Amazing!! I sit and wonder, ponder, and think about it and end up not DOING them...hst challenged for sure ;(((
...well will look forward to seeing yours come together as I absolutely love this pattern hugs, Julierose