Last week our story began with 3 different Birds in the Air quilts - a new start and 2 old UFOs that made me feel guilty for starting the new one.
I won Block Lotto blocks in 2016 for this version of six inch blocks in blue and purple tone on tones + white tone on tone. I wanted 100 blocks and had 61. So last Tuesday I made 13 blocks....
...and I made 13 more on Wednesday...
...and I made 13 more on Thursday. Then I was going to start assembling them but figured out with the border of Flying Geese the quilt would end up 76 inches square. I really don't like square quilts all that much and I've come this far so decided two more rows of 10 would be needed. So guess what I will be doing the next couple of days...making 10 blocks each day.
The other old Birds in the Air quilt I started in 2014 - inspired by a quilt in a magazine that was inspired by a vintage quilt. I had a few blocks made and some navy fabric set aside with the hand dyed scraps I won back then.
To move forward on this version I decided on color layout and how many more blocks of each color I would need. I had the least amount of yellow to work with so it goes in the center. I made two more blocks and then made the center medallion. Next round will be red/orange but I'm going to try to make the rest of the blocks for the purple/blue round so I can use the remaining blue/purple scraps to make those extra bird blocks and flying geese border blocks for the other quilt.
The new Pansy Birds in the Air didn't get worked on since it was the newest and the reward for working on these oldies will be some Pansy Birds in the Air. (I have to think of a better name).