Saturday, January 21, 2017

Purple Waste Triangle and 1.5 Scrap Edition

Butterflies and Wonky Stars
I have a small box of waste triangles. Seems in past years waste triangles went in and never came out.  I started using them in a "Confetti Waves" quilt on red, "Butterflies" on blue and late last year I started making little Wonky Stars with them (4.5 inch finished).   I pawed through the box to look for some purple waste triangles but they seem in short supply.   I added some b/w ones I had sitting on the sewing machine desk to the mix.  


I've been making these 10 inch postage stamp blocks for a couple of years now.  I only need a few more and I can assemble a quilt.  I cut a postage stamp from every piece of purple I could find in the 1.5 scraps.  For the one on right I had to mix in some gray and obviously I mixed in some green on the second one. 


I made some little 3 inch Rail Fence blocks from any piece of 1.5 purple scraps I found in the box. 

(Hey! These are a lot easier than those Spools and Butterflies I made for several years!)

 And I made some 3 inch 9 Patches.   Because who can't use a few of those? 

Got Purple Scraps? 

20 comments:

scraphappy said...

You could never be bored with so many great projects going on. Love that the waste triangles are getting to play. They are so often neglected or discarded.

Nell's Quilts said...

Doesn't it feel good to use up every little bit. You've selected some great blocks to do just that.

Deb A said...

What a neat idea for the waste triangles! I have a basket of various sizes that I really need to start doing something with. Great ideas here. Thanks.

the girlfriend gap said...

You are amazing. I am Inspired to try some wonky stars. I have always thought they were so cute made up. Janita

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I really like your butterfly blocks with the waste triangles! What size are the squares you use for those blocks?

Julierose said...

You certainly get stuff done--and a lot of it...nice works going on in your purple phase month...Love the little scrappy rails...hugs, Julierose

Quiltdivajulie said...

Good for you for using the rail fence blocks that go together faster! Your system of playing with one size range each week seems to work really well for you.

Unknown said...

So many great projects happening at once!

Ariane said...

These are wonderful purple blocks!!

gayle said...

I always love to see what you're doing with your scraps! So much fun going on at your house!
I cut strips to make nine patches with, but haven't gotten to sewing any. It's been a long week...

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

You have such fun things going on!!

Brenda Kay said...

Such a great assortment of blocks.

Edith said...

I really like your use of those little scrap triangles, I keep saving them and wondering how to use them, might have to borrow this idea.

PaulaB quilts said...

You've done a lot with all those little scraps. Keep up the good work!

Sue SA said...

I love seeing all the different blocks you make with scraps. I have started making RSC blocks again this year but already run out of purple in large sizes, but now thanks to you got some good ideas for the skinny bits, thank you!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Great job annihilating the scraps!!!

Sally Trude said...

Its always fun to scout through your projects and fabrics. I love the white fabric with the roosters.

claudia said...

The butterflies are so cute! I am going to have to borrow that idea in the future. I'm finally running low on purples scraps! Eeek!
Love all of your blocks, you have such a great variety.

Pamela Arbour said...

Oh my, you have a bunch of fabulous blocks and projects going.

Linda said...

I just LOVE reading your blog posts, Cathy. I find them so inspiring. I love using up scraps and making Scrap Quilts. Your ideas for RSC blocks have given me so many ideas ( see my recent blog post: http://linda-koshka2quilts.blogspot.com where I mention your inspiration).
I am currently making loads of Twinkler blocks and 5" string blocks, using up my small stash of scraps. I have even trawled through all your years of posts, making copious notes so I can make even more of your block ideas! Does that make me a stalker?!!!