Friday, October 20, 2017

Where The Flying Geese Are The Stars




 Wandering Geese

(Goosey Goosey Gander, Whither Shall I Wander? )

It's a flimsy! 

80 x 80



These Sawtooth Stars started out as Flying Geese that I had been making as a Rainbow Scrap Challenge project from 4.5 inch scraps. I've been making them since March 2016.  I should also mention that I had a few "rules" for making the Flying Geese from scraps.  If the RSC color of the month was a primary color it got points of a secondary color and vice versa.  

In September I blogged about making some and had no idea what I would do with the growing pile.   Nann (With Strings Attached) and Libby (Life on the Hill) commented that they make nice star points. I hadn't even thought of that. Good idea!!!




Maybe I should call it Wrinkled Geese instead of Wandering Geese.  Even after ironing those old scraps stayed wrinkled.  (Really...I did iron this. I had to clean off the ironing board to do so since I only had enough room to iron a small block before cleaning. )

I spy scraps from a pirate quilt, a Christmas quilt, a Halloween quilt, a Snowball/Nine Patch quilt, Monster High pillowcases, Halloween pillowcases and Trick or Treat bags, Food Jar quilt, Featherbed quilt, Basket quilt, potholders ...

Now on to find a backing...probably a scrappy one. 

And I'm going to figure out what to do with the rest of the 4.5 inch scraps so I can eliminate that tripping hazard   box from the tiny sewing room. 


At the end of the month linking to: 


22 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Glorious and splendiferous and exuberant and more. SO much wonderful color!!!

Libby in TN said...

Love it!! So glad I could help.

Linda said...

Such a great idea to use the Flying Geese blocks as star points. Well done to your blogging friends for their excellent suggestions and to you for executing the idea so brilliantly. Super happy scrappy starry quilt top.

Quilting Babcia said...

So bright and cheerful, and totally gorgeous!

gayle said...

Wow! Wow wow wow!!!
Glorious happy quilt!

Robin said...

This is a fabulous quilt. I love the way it looks like stained glass with the sun behind it. I makes me happy!

Cathy said...

Another bright, happy and stellar quilt! And I love your primary/secondary color rule - keeps things from being boring!

*-* said...


Such beautiful colour and a lovely quilt.
Kay.

mangozz said...

Are you sure the iron was plugged in? Lol. Seriously, it's a very colorful and pretty quilt!

---"Love" said...

Usually I've seen those stars with sashings between them. I like the scrappy 4-patch that appears when no sashing is used. It's a very pretty quilt! ---"Love"

Ann said...

It's more fun and more colorful without sashing. Great way to use up the flying geese.

claudia said...

Oh so beautious! I love the colors!!!

the girlfriend gap said...

Love it !!! Do you sew everyday at a certain time? I'm always amazed by your sewing progress and your fabric stash! I need to jump in on the RSC , life tis too short to not have a few rainbow quilts in your life. Thanks for sharing your inspiration. Janita

Ellen said...

As soon as I saw the photo of it hanging on the line I thought of stained glass as well. So pretty - another beauty!

Quilting Nonnie said...

Lovely! Fantastic! Now I want to make one. Maybe next years RSC...if I ever get this one done. It is so cheerful. Don't you wish you could have a quilt look like it does with the sun shining through. I love scrappy quilts so you can look at all the fabrics you've used through the years?

Louise said...

Gorgeous flimsy! All that rich color...yum!

Kaja said...

Yay! Great flimsy Like you I wouldn't have thought of using the geese for star points but it was a brilliant idea.

Sarah Goer Quilts said...

I love the bright, vibrant colors in these large colorful blocks! Congrats on the finished flimsy.

Patty said...

What a fun and colorful quilt. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

Anita Jackson @ Domestic Felicity said...

The Scrappy Look gives so much interest to the quilt! It is gorgeous!

Emily said...

Lovely! So much fun!

Kate said...

Gorgeous! I love how it looks like stained glass in the light. Congrats on finishing your October OMG.