Saturday, April 8, 2017

Multicolored Miscellany


This month our Rainbow Scrap Challenge is to use multicolored scraps. 
I made 5 large Burgoyne Surrounded blocks and used multicolored fabrics for the centers.  

I've been using leftover bits and pieces (chunks) to make these. Most of the center, multicolored bits are leftovers from various quilt backs. 

When I make these blocks I make scraps from scraps (mainly 1.5 and 2.5 scraps) so I try to make these first so I can use the 1.5 and 2.5 scraps in other RSC projects I have in the works. 


Then I made 9 Floribunda blocks using multicolored floral fabric. 
Most of these florals were not scraps but they leave me with 3.5 and 2 inch scraps I'm using in other RSC projects you will see later this month (I hope). 

I am making the Floribunda (aka Jacob's Ladder) blocks because this has been a UFO for a long time and I need quite a few more blocks to make a large bed quilt so decided I'd make a few blocks each month  as an RSC project and then use the resulting scraps all in the same month instead of letting them linger. 


From multicolored 1.5 inch scraps (from Burgoyne Surrounded above and then some) I made some little 3 inch rail blocks...


...and a few of these little 2 inch units. I'm not certain how these will end up at year end but I'll figure something out. 


26 comments:

Ivani said...

Love your Floribunda blocks with multicolored flowers. So sweet.

Alison V. said...

I LOVE your Burgoyne blocks! They are so cool! How many more of them are you going to make?

Mari said...

I love the Burgoyne Surrounded! Such great blocks

Chantal said...

Beautiful fabric put to good use in the first picture. I love the two on the right. Very well done on all your blocks. Enjoy! ;^)

Kathy S. said...

Wow, you've been very productive. You have tons of multi-colored fabric scraps. Way to work them in.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I really like those Burgoyne Surrounded blocks, too! They have room for lots of fun fabric!

maggie fellow said...

I want to do floribunda some day. It looks like you do multi color right:)

gayle said...

I love your Burgoyne Surrounded! (I first typed that as "I love your BS!", then thought 'oh, wait...') Every time you show your fabulous blocks, I want to run and start another quilt!

Kaja said...

I like how you seem to have a hierarchy of scraps, with the Burgoyne Surrounded blocks currently at the top of the pile and the little two and three inch bits at the bottom.

Ariane said...

Wow! You've gotten a lot of wonderful blocks made this weeks! They look great!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

You have REALLY been busy with the busy fabrics!!

Katie Z. said...

You made some quite lovely blocks.

---"Love" said...

You really do amaze me with each post! I wish I could pick up and hold on to that many tiny pieces. I'd never get a large quilt together with them. Making Moda's Block Heads block 5 yesterday almost drove me nuts! ---"Love"

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I sure like those burgoyne blocks. I am looking forward to seeing that one come together.

Linda said...

As always, love your plethora of interesting blocks. I enjoy looking at all your different scraps of fabric: the green, brown and cream chevron fabric looks great.

Cathy said...

All your blocks are so delightful! The BurgoyneS and Jacob’s Ladders are my favorites, but your endless creativity with the smaller pieces never ceases to amaze me!

Magpie Sue said...

What I'm seeing is that it helps to have calmer or tone on tone prints to use with the multicolor scraps. Love the yellow background in the Florabunda blocks!

audrey said...

I always get such a kick out of seeing your wonderful fabric blends! You have the best collection ever.:)

PaulaB quilts said...

Your Burgoynes are really good, all colors but very good contrast. I'm so impressed by the way you turn those,scraps into little blocks ASAP. You are ready for anything that comes along.

Quilter Kathy said...

You are the scrap queen!
I am totally lost this month with the multicolour scrap theme!

Janice Holton said...

So fun to watch these come together! That is quite a feat to put multi-colored scraps into a coherent design!

Cathy Tomm said...

Great scraps! I love that you are back at your floribunda blocks. My mom did that quilt a few years ago. I have so many floral fabrics that I should make a few quilts.

Angie said...

Beautiful Burgoyne blocks! I am so tempted to give that block a try...

Monica said...

Your Burgoyne Surrounded blocks look fabulous, Cathy! That block is starting to grow on me. You must have a huge stockpile of block bits -- no wonder you keep whipping up all those great "orphan block" quilts. It really works for you!

MontyBear said...

Your Burgoyne has a completely different look by using the scraps and patterned fabric. I love it.

Sheila said...

I LOVE your prints and blocks. So much fun going on in your post today. Like you, I sew and accumulate blocks over the year or years until I have enough for quilts. Looking forward to watching your colorful collections of blocks grow.