Rainbow Dresden Plates
I should call it Fiesta Dinnerware
88 x 88
Here's the last row on the ground. It's too long for the clothesline.
This was another Rainbow Scrap Challenge I started a few years ago. Each month I used scraps in the color of the month to make four Dresdens -
1. Color of the month
2. Color of the month plus its complement
3. Color of the month plus black/white
4. Color of the month plus white/black
Each was appliqued to a gray background and had a polka dot center surrounded by gray rick rack.
I hand quilted it with hand quilting thread first about a quarter inch inside each blade of the fans and then I used an old cardboard stencil that looked kind of like a flower or kind of like a Dresden with eight blades, traced it with mechanical pencil and quilted it where the four corners of the blocks meet. The stitches are a little larger in the Dresdens because I didn't cut away the extra background behind the Dresdens (I was afraid to do so) and that made for an extra layer of fabric to quilt through. It also makes for a very heavy quilt but those are needed around here on the beds in the winter.
True to the scrappy nature of the quilt I used a bit of leftover binding after I ran out of the 8 gray width of fabric pieces I had prepared for binding. I never actually measure precisely when I make binding. I just kind of guestimate in my head. In this case I knew if it was 88 on each I would need at least 2 widths of fabric per side so that is why I prepared 8 - 2.5 width of fabric pieces. I didn't have any gray leftover binding to finish up when I got to the end but had a little piece of solid light blue that worked just fine to fill in the final gap. And you can't see it very well but I used it for my quilt label. I rarely label a quilt I keep for myself so this works for me to easily get it done as part of the process.
This is the back.
It involved use of lots of scraps so linking up to:
It took a month of Sundays to hand quilt so linking up to: