Saturday, March 18, 2017

Red 3.5 Scrap Edition


Red is the color of the month for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. This week I decided to work with my 3.5 inch scraps.   I did have quite a few red scraps; however, I've also been trying to move forward my old Florabunda UFO, a Bonnie Hunter quilt along from 2011, I think!  

These are actually 9 inch Jacob's Ladder blocks in floral fabrics on a yellow background inspired by a 1940s quilt. 

So the first thing I did was pick out a few red floral fabrics I haven't already used in my Florabunda blocks and make more blocks. 


And then I was left with some 3.5 inch red scraps to add to the pile so I can use the scraps up right away in my other scrap only blocks and not let those scraps linger!  (The 2 inch scraps are used later in some other blocks). 


Then I made some Glitter blocks (cut from 3.5 inch scraps some of which you may recognize from the Florabunda blocks I just made). The instructions for these blocks can be found in the book Quilt Lovely by Jen Kingwell. 


Then if there was enough of a scrap left for six inch Bow Tie blocks I made some of those.  And I remembered this time to use 2 inch pieces for the flippy corners instead of 1.5 pieces like I did on last month's Bow Ties.  I put a note in the project bag with them so I won't forget . 


The reason I get confused by the flippy corner pieces is because I always remember to use 1.5 flippy corners on my 3 inch snowballs because they might get combined with 3 inch Nine Patches which are made from 1.5 inch pieces.    I cut scraps for Bow Ties and then for Snowballs (if there's enough) at the same time and it seems in my mind they should use the same size flippy corners. But they don't (although I have seen instructions for six inch bow ties that use 1.5 inch pieces and others that use 2 inches. I guess I'll be using both.)

But I never forget about ScrapHappy Saturday

22 comments:

Chantal said...

MY! What a load of reds! You kept busy at the sewing machine. Lovely blocks all over this post. Love those Glitter blocks. Nope, not gonna try that but I do admire them. Putting a note in the bag is a great idea. I don't like working from bags so I pin the measurements of each blocks I am currently working on on a cork board near the work station. They stay there until the quilt is done. Then they get transfer into a log book in case I want to make that quilt again. It's a lesson I learned years ago.

Deb from frugal little bungalow said...

It's amazing to see all of these ; you've been very busy! :)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Your reds look great!! I love that floribunda one - hadn't thought of red and yellow - but that will be beautiful!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You have the best red scraps, Cathy! It's fun to see them in all the different blocks. I'm especially enjoying all those red and white bow ties!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I take it the sewing machine is behaving again? Love the reds and yellows together.

Cathy said...

Those glitter blocks are awesome, but my heart belongs to the bow ties (even though it takes 1,437,528 to make a quilt). You're smart to do larger ones this time around.

Scrapatches said...

Great blocks and layouts ... very inspiring ... :) Pat

Ivani said...

OMG you made a lot of red blocks so far. Love them all. Happy Worldwide Quilting Day!

gayle said...

I love all your blocks! Those floribundas are gorgeous (another of Bonnie's many quilts that is on my list) and your Glitters always make my heart go pitty-pat!
(And I'm deeply regretting my studio being snowed in a half mile away from me. Oh, to be making Glitter blocks...)

Kathy S. said...

Lots of Jacob's Ladder fun. I love the red/white egg beater fabric. Fun with scraps for sure.

Nell's Quilts said...

The floribunda in red and yellow is so striking. Lots of beautiful reds and blocks. I do like that glitter block. Will have to remember that one for a later date.

claudia said...

I love those floral prints. So springy!!!

Rhonda said...

You have been busy! What beautiful blocks and such a fun variety of projects. Your fabrics are lovely.

Edith said...

Wow, you've been busy, some really nice red fabric scraps in all these blocks.

The Joyful Quilter said...

What an INCREDIBLE collection of scrappy RED blocks!!!

PaulaB quilts said...

Those red and yellow blocks have,such a sweet vintage look. My favorite are the bow ties. Great job this week.

Linda said...

Wow! What a lot of gorgeous blocks. Those glitter blocks are great and your florabunda Bonnie blocks look lovely.
I also write notes and put them in bags of pices I have cut for specific blocks - otherwise when I get back to them I have no idea what on earth they were for!

Vicki in MN said...

Wow I am impressed with the variety of different blocks you are working on! For sure you won't get bored!

Sally Trude said...

Hmm...it seems that since your retirement, everything is coming up roses (when you aren't counting four leaf clovers, that is).

Cathy Tomm said...

Wow, you got so much done and are a little crazy. Love all the different reds you have. Your blocks are great. I love the glitter blocks and the hit of purple in some.

Kate said...

Lots of gorgeous reds in your blocks. You are going to have some wonderful rainbow scrappy quilts at the end of they year.

Ellen said...

You have such a wonderful, fabulous and amazing array of scraps and stash fabrics and you use them very well!!