Monday, March 20, 2017

Down and Dirty on the Farm

Down and Dirty on the Farm

From the looks of things I haven't worked on this UFO since December 2014 when I started it and made 8 blocks and rehearsed centers.     At that time I called it Garden Party but the fabrics I have been throwing in the box seem to depict more than just gardening so now I think I'll all it Down and Dirty on the Farm.  I was thinking of calling it Farmer in the Dell but I don't have any nurse or cheese fabrics.   

But I digress...I made about 20 or so more blocks yesterday; four of which make up a bigger block.  I still have a lot more blocks to make. I think I need 68 for the quilt in the book (Adding Layers by Kathy Doughty - quilt named House Party)  but mine will probably be larger.  And I'm still rehearsing centers for those bigger blocks.   I had some big veggie fabric in the project box I might use for some centers. 


And I also have some large floral fabrics that might be nice for some centers. 



I have fun working with colorful and fun novelties especially when it's dreary outside.  Normally I get bored with a block after I cut and make a couple. But these are fun.  And I figured out an easier way to cut pieces for the blocks (not cutting 4 1/8 piece in quarters for side pieces but using EZ angle ruler  to cut from 2.5 inch pieces the same as the rest of the block) so that process has sped up a little. 

 So the block making went on and on...

...and on and on...

 ...and on.     I'm ready to sew more blocks but am tired of them for now. On to the next project/UFO. I'll get back to this one later...hopefully before two years have passed. 


10 comments:

Monica said...

My goodness you have a lot of fun fabrics here, Cathy! No wonder you made such great progress. And I agree, the ruler is the better way for those triangles. Looking good!

Bonnie said...

I hear you about getting bored with making the same block over and over again. But you are well on your way. So pull it out again in a month or two. Maybe it'll be fresh again then.

gayle said...

Wow, you've got a terrific variety of farm/garden prints! I especially love all the little animals!
I hear ya on the too many of the same block. That's why I've got so many quilts going... 8)

Janie said...

Very happy and cheerful, thanks for sharing.
I'm traveling so I'm away from my projects and it's
cloudy and cold here. I needed to see your beautiful
colors!

Emily said...

You always have the best names for your quilts!

Quilter Kathy said...

These are very fun blocks!
I know what you mean about getting bored after a while though... that's why we need so many projects on the go at the same time!

Louise said...

What a fun collection of fabrics! It's great that you figured out an easier way to cut the triangles. I just finished using a bunch of my vegetable themed fabrics for a Mountains Majesty block and I'm happy to not make any more of those now. You're right, the cutting goes faster when the fabrics are fun to look at!

em's scrapbag said...

Lots of fun fabrics in this great quilt.

Ellen said...

I use the ez angle rulers all the time. I do think they are a time, fabric and aggravation saver! My hst and qst blocks usually always come out very accurate with no trimming required.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is adorable! and it is the time to start getting dirty - we have the garden area all raked.....