Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Coin Toss: It's a Start


Ann (of Fret Not Yourself) and Kaja (of Sew Slowly) issued a challenge (or, if you prefer, invited us) to make an improv coin toss quilt.    I don't have a design wall and don't really work with one or I'd never get anything done endlessly moving fabric around on a wall.  So I pinned my work on Coin Toss so far up on the clothesline with the sashing fabric I'm using as the back drop in order to take a pic to show where I am so far. 

When I started I knew I wanted a quilt roughly 60 x 80. I knew I wanted to use up some orphans, crumb blocks and other bits and pieces I have on hand and not specifically cut up fabric but work only from scraps.  I love a rainbow after a good rain so figured on a rainbow type layout since this will be a comfort quilt I'll keep on hand to give to someone in the future who may need some rainbow cheer. 

With all of those decisions out of the way I set to work and came up with three columns 20 inches wide, scrappy, and in rainbow layout (blue and indigo mixed together).  Now I need to start the rainbow over again in each column in order to make them each about 80 inches long.   Well, maybe not that long because I'm thinking of adding HSTs to the top and bottom as a kind of border but we shall see how that goes when the time comes. 

I got bored with working on it (I'm surprised I got this far...I'm easily bored... or maybe distracted is a better word?) so put it away for another day when it calls to me.  I'm never in a rush to finish a quilt. Like a good pickle sometimes fermentation is critical! 



I still have lots of ready made bits and pieces in the project box but most are in cool colors so I need to work up something for the warmer colors  (crumbs?) - specifically red and yellow.  

Ad Hoc Improv Quilting with: 

17 comments:

gayle said...

I love seeing all the approaches to Chinese coins! Your rainbow orphans are wonderful!

Ann said...

This will be such a comforting quilt. I love your use of orphan blocks and the way you inserted narrow strips of the sashing through the columns. Sorry you didn't finish it yet but hope to see it sometime. Keeping it as a placeholder for your leftovers seems like a good plan.
Thanks so much for joining in #AHIQChineseCoins. I love seeing how far everyone pushes this idea.
BTW the Gees Bend quilters most admired women who quilted in their laps - never laid on the bed while in progress but only moved from their eye to their hands. You fit right in. A master quiltmaker.

em's scrapbag said...

I'm loving how this is coming along!

Magpie Sue said...

You've made an excellent start. I love your statement about how projects, like pickles, need sometimes to ferment before they're ready for consumption. :-) Those lovely clear colors will certainly be cheerful too.

Janie said...

I like what you've done! And I like your comment about pickling and fermenting.
That's a good way to think of the creative process.
Thanks, I'm always encouraged here.

Ariane said...

I love how you are using your orphan and crumb blocks. I love rainbow quilts. Your progress looks great!

Sue said...

Very ingenious to use the orphans in this way. I completely understand the getting bored and putting away. It's also fun to stumble upon these bits later and have another stab at it.

Cathy said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this idea!! Fantastic color sashing, too!!

Linda said...

What a great idea. Love your strips, especially the two bright yellow stars in the centre strip. Sashing is a super vibrant colour. Another winner in the making, Cathy. Linda (ashworth.linda1@gmail.com)

claudia said...

I think this is going to be a really nifty quilt. It will certainly bring a smile to the person you give it to!

PaulaB quilts said...

The Royal blue sashing is a bold choice and adds a bit of structure to the design. I think that choosing your design of a rainbow first was a great idea. Within that boundary is plenty of room for variety, as you show with your yellow blocks. It will be like fine wine, not pickles, after it rests awhile.

Havplenty said...

You make such delightful scrappy quilts and I am sure this one will be a special treat also.

Kaja said...

I really like the way your 'coins' are made from orphan blocks and not just because it's a great way to use thing up. The narrow blue sashing works so well - it's a strong colour but it seems to enhance all the other bits.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Adding in the orphans was a super idea. This will be another beauty when it is done fermenting (great term). Always happy to see your WIPs on the clothesline!

Monica said...

"Like a good pickle!" LOL, I will remember that phrase. It applies to many of my projects too!

Every quilt in it's time, I know this one will be great once you get back to it!

Ellen said...

Using that blue for the sashing is going to make this a very striking quilt. Another beauty in the making!

Marly said...

Including orphan blocks is a great idea! I like the way you're creating a rainbow too.