Saturday, May 8, 2021

Red 3.5 Plus 2

Dove in the Window

This month the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) color is red. And this year I am working with scrap chunks. If there is a chunk large enough I cut a 3.5 inch width piece and a matching 2 inch width piece. Then I make several different blocks that use both 3.5 inch and 2 inch pieces.

I started these Dove in the Window blocks late last year so hope, scraps permitting, that I have enough blocks by year end for a big quilt top. 

These Dove in the Window blocks finish at 7.5 inches. 

The next thing I do if I have enough left of the 3.5 and 2 inch piece I cut is make Buckeye Beauty blocks. I've been making these with the RSC color of the month plus plaids, shirts or dark multicolors. These finish at 6 inches and I'm aiming for a quilt about 60 x 78 so I guess that means I need 130 blocks. 

Antique Tiles
Then if I still have enough left of the 3.5 inch piece I cut the center 3.5 square and four side pieces 2x3.5. Sometimes there is enough of the 3.5 inch piece left to cut all that or sometimes part of the 2x3.5 side pieces come from the 2 inch leftovers.  For the remaining two contrasting sets of pieces I look to my 2 inch scrap bin which has not yet been emptied or I cut other 2 inch scraps from my scrap chunks. These Antique Tile blocks finish at 9 inches. 

Then I make some X+ blocks that finish at 7 inches. They are the three blocks at the top of the picture. I also look through my bin of 3.5 inch squares to see if I have any to add to the mix. The remaining 2 inch pieces come from the scrap chunks. Then if any 3.5 inch pieces are left I make Four Patches for the Parts Department. I've also been using light neutral scraps to make the Four Patches. Anything less than a 3.5 inch square gets sewn into a strip and added to the Chinese Coins box which is getting pretty full after all these years.  Sometimes I also make Four Patches if there are any 2 inch width pieces left over but this time I added them to my 2 inch width scrap bin which has not been emptied like almost all the others were last year. 

Oh, and I did cut a few 3.5 x 2.5 inch rectangle to add to my bag of them I'm collecting to make a quilt or two. I think for two quilts I need 1600 rectangles and I have about 1300 now. 

And I haven't trimmed them yet but I made little Hourglass (or QSTs) out of the trimmings from the X+ blocks. I've previously posted what I have in mind for those QSTs. Someday...


 

13 comments:

scraphappy said...

So many beautiful red blocks! Love how organized your scrap flow is.

Linda said...

Wow! You certainly have a lot of red chunks to give lots of variety to your blocks. All great blocks. i love the Buckeye Beauty ones, the block looks very different according to the fabrics you mix together. The X blocks are great too.

Deb said...

I have a block bank and you have a parts department! Very cool. Your are so very organized. I need to get the RSC ideas all in one place. I am almost there, a bit more thinking time and I will have it in order. You are making great progress!
Stay safe and sew on !

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

So many pretty reds and great blocks! Your system for the year seems to be working really well, Cathy!

maggie fellow said...

I like how organized you are and work from largest t smallest scraps

gayle said...

I love all your blocks!
(whispering to self: don't start dove in the window don't start dove in the window don't start dove in the window)
(also whispering: or x+ either)

Maggie said...

Beautiful projects and the reds are beautiful.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Wow!! What a selection of RED scraps you've got there, Cathy!!

Jenny said...

My goodness, it's hard to keep up with all your sewing adventures! You have been working on lots of lovely red fabrics.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Loving all your red blocks, hard to pick a favourite! These are all going to make wonderful RSC quilts.

mangozz said...

Buckeye Beauties are one of my favorite blocks. There are so many things you can do with them and so many different settings. Those are nice, small blocks too. They are so much cuter in a small size and make a better design on the quilt. I picked up some Triangles On A Roll paper from Goodwill recently and have been playing around with it. They make such accurate HSTs! I want to make an Ocean Waves quilt in mostly pinks but I'm not sure if I have enough of a selection. I may need to throw in some less than desirable shades of pink or other colors, but I suppose that is what will make it unique.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Such fabulous blocks you are working on. Happy quilting.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Amazing reds!!! I really like the Dove in the Windows block!