Monday, May 17, 2021

BIG Prints #1 - Halloween Postcards Flimsy

Halloween Postcards
It's a flimsy!
45 x 60

In our online Stasbusters group a challenge was issued to work in a series - pick a block and make several quilts using that block (or variations) and scraps and/or stash. 

I chose to use scraps as well as BIG prints that have been lingering in my stash for many years and the block I'm using is a fifteen inch (finished) block called Double Sawtooth found at Quilter's Cache. 

The center is a 9.5 inch square perfect (I think) for BIG prints. And the HSTs finish at 3 inches so they are perfect for using up some scraps.   I used a cute old Halloween fabric that I've never been able to cut into to use for the centers. I chose to use black and orange HSTs in all of the blocks and used up a lot of small scraps of Halloween fabrics. I also had to add in a few polka dots and solids when I ran out of Halloween fabrics. 

My small drawer of Halloween prints has been greatly reduced. I tried to use up all my Holiday fabrics several years ago but was a failure. Maybe this year that will happen. It looks like I may have the makings for a small Happy Block quilt as well as a black and white Medallion quilt left in the drawer. I reclassified a couple of the prints with pumpkins and scarecrows, etc.  and added them to a small box of Autumn themed scraps and orphan blocks. 

And this rarely happens...I pieced a backing right after I finished the flimsy. I hope to make that a habit because I have a giant pile of quilts that need quilting and when I actually do feel like quilting something I never feel like hunting for fabrics to piece a back. 

I used the rest of the Halloween Postcard fabric and this vintage looking fabric for the back but I also had to add in a few other scraps for length and width. 

I'm not much for decorating for or really even celebrating holidays so I'll probably pass this one on when finished to my oldest granddaughter who was born on Halloween in 2004. For some reason Halloween is her favorite holiday! 

So...on to the next BIG print! 

 

12 comments:

Linda said...

Brilliant use of that large Halloween fabric. Super quilt and great backing.

sue s said...

This is a fun one! I agree with you about the backings. I'm ready to pin and oops- better make a backing first. I seldom use wide backs so mine are generally pieced with leftovers from the top.

Nann said...

Looks as though that block will be ideal for a variety of "theme" prints. (Thinking about panels that could be cut up, too.)

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That sounds like the perfect owner for the quilt. I love the contrast and all of the pointy parts in this one.

gayle said...

I LOVE this! Brilliant use of orange! Your granddaughter will be thrilled!

djquilting said...

What a fun quilt. I know your granddaughter will love it.

mangozz said...

What a fun quilt! The design is perfect for the fabrics. I love Halloween.

Pamela Arbour said...

Another great finish

maggie fellow said...

very fun and ahead of the game

cspoonquilt said...

I love Halloween Quilts in general and this one has such a great block and wonderful fabrics! Definitely a winner!!

Kaja said...

What a cool challenge,and the block you have chosen works really well with the novelty prints.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is a really cool quilt!! Way to meet the challenge - but , um, you know you just tested fate right? You said you almost used up your novelties.... I am sure a scrap box is going to fall from the sky now haha!