Sunday, August 9, 2020

Stopping To Stitch and Smell The Roses

This has been my summer project. I started making these "Rose Petals" last year to use up rose themed scraps and #10 crochet cotton. I've been using 4.5 inch scraps and have not run out of those yet. If I do I have a few smaller chunks I can use. I think I have 73 Rose Petals now and am working toward a total of 120. I will sew them together 10 x 12 and then crochet a border for a nice throw. 

I've used up three partial spools of a variety of pink crochet cottons. And as you can see I'm running low now of the spools I originally pulled out of my stash. I need to go through the two boxes again and see if there's anything I missed. Then I suppose I will move on and use white or cream.  When I was working in town I used to stop by the thrift stores every so often and pick up crochet cotton as well as other threads that is why I have a lot of partial spools. I used a lot of it when I crochet a shoe box of Barbie Doll clothes when the granddaughters were younger. And one year I made a lot of embroidered pillowcases with crocheted trim for Christmas gifts. I also used to crochet motifs for crazy quilting. Maybe I should tie a quilt with some of it. 

And every once in awhile I stop to smell the roses that the deer, rabbits, beetles and aphids leave for me.


14 comments:

Linda said...

Very satisfying use of scraps and ends of crochet spools.

Jenny said...

Your Rose Petals will make such a pretty quilt.

Laura said...

I don't crochet, and I am fascinated with this project! I haven't seen a quilt like this before. I think it is wonderful textural eye candy, and will be a fab throw! :)

Julierose said...

what lovely blocks--this will be so pretty in pink crochet...
hugs from afar julierose

MissPat said...

I have one lonely Mr. Lincoln rose bush left that is hardly visible and hasn't flowered in two years. It's time to dig it out. Planted more than 20 years ago as a Father's Day present to my husband from his (young at the time) daughters. I've decided it's better to enjoy my flowers in fabric than in the garden.
Pat

Kim said...

Oh, how beautiful your crochet bordered rose petals are. These blocks all joined together are going to be a vision splendid!

The Joyful Quilter said...

That's a LOT of rose-themed fabrics!! Are you using multiples of each one? You found a great way to stay busy with crochet, but without any weight on your lap.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I like those little blocks with crochet around them. How will you sew them together? I left all yarn in Indiana except a favorite I just bought. I DID bring all of my crochet cotton and need a project to use them. Not much need for heavy yarn blankets in California.
xx, Carol

gayle said...

So much competition for the roses at your house! I do hope they leave a few for you now and then!
Luckily you've got your pretty indoor roses to play with! Happy crocheting!

Nann said...

I always feel that I am rescuing those leftovers at the thrift shop. Your project will make an interesting, lacy throw.

Miaismine said...

Your throw squares are so lovely! It will be so comfy and cuddly, especially during these hot summer months! Beautiful!

Magpie Sue said...

This is going to be such a pretty quilt - eventually!

Quilter Kathy said...

So so pretty! Such a great way to use up scraps of fabric and crochet cottons!

sewyouquilt2 said...

So pretty. This kind of quilt has been on my bucket list too