Thursday, August 13, 2020

Skimpy Scrimption Stars


It's a flimsy!
Skimpy Scrimption Stars
60 x 84


I started making the Stars from skimpy scrimptions (skinny scraps/selvages) back in December 2018 after I was inspired by a c. 1880 quilt in the Pat Nichols collection at the Mengei International Museum. 


I used Corey Yoder's (Coriander Quilts) string star tutorial which was nice because I didn't have any set in seams to deal with while making these 8 point stars. 


After making a few stars off and on since 2018 I got serious about finishing enough stars for a top a few months ago and made it my "20 minute challenge" project. That meant I sewed on the stars at least 20 minutes first thing each day I went into the sewing room. 

 Finally at the end of June I had enough blocks for my quilt. And now I have a flimsy. And I still have a lot of skimpy scrimptions...probably enough for 10 more quilts like this. But that's not going to happen. At least right now I don't think that's going to happen. 





17 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Love the term skimpy scrimptions -- GREAT term. What a happy scrappy quilt (and thanks for the link to her tutorial!).

maggie fellow said...

ah... a new word - glad for the no set in seams tutorial, and I really like your top- I'm sure all quilters have way too many scrimptions

Nann said...

Your Scrimptions are scrumptious! Thanks for the reference to the tutorial. I am going through early 1980's quilt magazines and so many blocks are patterned for hand-piecing.

Linda said...

Absolutely great! I look forward to 10 more similar quilts!!!!! Or not!!!!
I know you work in small periods of time on these blocks but there is SO much work in this flimsy. Hats off to you for finishing it.

Cathy said...

Awesome stars! I’ve loved this top from the moment you started it. I can’t believe you have that many scraps still left over. I mean, I believe it, but WOW!!

SandyPA said...

Hey - I just noticed there is a stripe in the middle of each star point which matches the block background. Clever! Nann said it best...this is a scrumptious, fun quilt! Sandy at sewhigh.blogspot.com

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is just amazing!!

Julierose said...

Just a lovely way to use up those selvages...beautiful finish
Hugs from afar julierose

Pamela Arbour said...

Awesome. I can’t believe you have enough for 10 more!

MissPat said...

Delightful stars with a stellar name. Good use for selvages (which I don't keep, thank heavens).

Gretchen Weaver said...

Love it! Can't wait to see how you quilt it!

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a fabulous flimsy it is!! Thank you for including the tutorial link.

mangozz said...

Love your string stars! I've always liked this design. Thanks for the link to the tutorial.

QuiltGranma said...

Love them, but the directions did not say the finished size of the blocks. Could YOU tell me?

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Love it Cathy!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Wow! This is amazing! Congrats on a perfectly wonderful quilt!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those are neat blocks! I love the red and yellow backgrounds!