Saturday, October 30, 2010

A Lot of Sane and a Little Crazy

Patches and Pinwheels quilt inspired by a pattern by Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville. It's a full size quilt. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it - maybe leave it in a pile I have for gifts or charity quilts. Or maybe I will keep it. I do like it. It appears I should have used blue for the borders since I must mostly have blue scrap fabrics. It is my favorite color. But, I had enough of the red polka dotted fabric for the whole borders so red it was. And, the back is a sheet from the thrift store - a soft blue with morning glories - a favorite flower. And there was just enough left for the binding.

This is a race track quilt/playmat for my grandson, Jacob, for Christmas. He will be about 22 months by then so I'm hoping he will like it. I found some age appropriate cars to go with it. I've had the panel for quite some time but couldn't figure out how to finish it off. I found some St. Jude fabric that had hospitals, fire and police stations, etc on it, some fabric with school buses, and some miscellaneous fabrics. On the strips along the side I included a "fishing hole" and a "mushroom patch" since he loves to accompany mom and dad and sister on the mushroom hunts and fishing trips. So, now, when he plays on his mat he can pull off road to do the same.

These are the finished napkins and placemats for my dad and stepmom for Christmas. I've been saving Celtic/Irish looking fabrics for years.

And finally...a little bit of crazy- this is a Tea Time block for Nicki. Five of us in the group rotate our blocks and so you end up with your block home at the end stitched on by four talented ladies. I added tea cup and flowers, party hat, teapot button and some seam treatments in the same area.
Close up of my work - a teapot button, a party hat and a tea cup of flowers.

2 comments:

Laurie said...

what awesome work Kathy, and I love your your work on the tea time block!

Wendy said...

Your placemats and napkins turned out really great. And I love the pinwheel quilt.