Sunday, April 9, 2017

What's In The Hoop?


What's in the hoop? 
Rainbow Dresdens
A BIG quilt - maybe 84 x 84 or so?
I'm hand quilting the Dresdens right now. 
I work on hand quilting each night for about an hour before bed.  It helps me relax, forget about all the world's troubles and to sleep better.  It also gives me callouses and broken fingernails. 


This is an old Rainbow Scrap Challenge project.   I used my 4.5 inch scraps and made four blocks each month throughout the year - one in the color of the month, one in the color of the month plus it's complement, one with black/white, one with white/black.   All are on gray backgrounds and have polka dot centers surrounded by gray rick rack. 

I'm using regular hand quilting thread (not perle) in all colors.  I did NOT cut away the fabric behind the Dresdens ( I was afraid to do that) and was thinking I would have problems stitching through all those layers but no problem...I just take a little bigger stitches.  I'm still trying to decide how I will quilt between Dresdens where the seams meet but I have plenty of time to decide. 

20 comments:

Jenny said...

Your Dresden quilt is so lovely!!

Just Another Quilter said...

Love your Drsdens. I need to pull mine back out

Just Another Quilter said...

Love your Dresdens. I need to pull mine back out

gayle said...

Well, if the quilting wasn't giving you calluses and broken nails, the garden would be, so you're probably doomed either way.
I love your dresdens - it was fun watching you post them each month, and now it's fun watching you quilt them. Such a gorgeous quilt!

Rivah Rats Quilting said...

Love the rickrack around the center of your dresdens!! What a cute idea!

Denise :) said...

Your dresdens are really gorgeous -- great choice for a rainbow challenge!! I love your manner of winding down! Hope you had some good slow stitching time today! :)

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I have not made a Dresden quilt yet. Yours is so colorful. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

CathieJ said...

I love these Dresdens. I like those with two colors. It makes this quilt all the more interesting. Enjoy your quilting.

Kathy S. said...

Love the novelty fabrics in your scraps. This is the perfect use for them. Happy stitching.

---"Love" said...

I've never made Dresdens, but I do have three made by my aunt. I may try one someday. Yours are really pretty, and your hand quilting will make them even more special. ---"Love"

Cathy said...

Oh, I can't wait to see this one finished. Your Dresdens is what inspired me to try my rainbow Dresdens!! I love, love, LOOOOVE this quilt!!

Karen said...

My eye went straight to the pig fabric. How cute. Well done on your quilt.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Lovely 'dresden plates' that ricrac was a great idea!

AnnieO said...

So very pretty! Had to chuckled at your broken fingernails comment :)

Karen said...

Very pretty Dresdan blocks. You used lots of fun fabrics.

Quilter Kathy said...

I just love this quilt! It's a fabric lovers delight!
So wonderful that it is helping you to relax at night.
I have the broken fingernails too!

Barb Neiwert said...

What a beautiful quilt and a special keepsake with all those fabrics. Definitely worth a broken fingernail or two. Or three....

Karen's Korner said...

What a lovely bright and colourful quilt.

Emily said...

It's stunning!

Kaja said...

It's worth the damage quilting does to your hands! (I've got callouses like a bricklayer).