Sunday, April 23, 2017

Smooth Sailing


Smooth Sailing
40 x 60
A donation quilt in the works.  It's now a top. 


It all started with a couple of 12 inch Happy Blocks with sailboats in them I won sometime in the distant past from the Sunshine Online Quilt Guild's Block Lotto.      I put them in a box with some other blue scraps and have been adding to the box ever since.  

Any blue scraps with a water theme - fish, sailboats, anchors - went into the box as well as...


...any sky themed scraps - stars, fireworks, clouds. 


I recently looked in the box when I was determining what goals I wanted to try to complete for the Q2 Finish-A-Long and decided there were enough scraps for a donation quilt.   So I made a few star blocks from the scraps and I made...

...a 12 inch sailboat block from a pattern at Quilter's Cache.  (I've been making these as an Rainbow Scrap Challenge too.)  

Then I just sewed everything together into a giant crumb block. No design wall...no thinking involved...I just started with the three sailboat blocks and worked my way out.

That's the Crumby part of Sane, Crazy, Crumby, you know!

22 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

That center sailboat just sings in this setting -- hooray for a terrific quilt top!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love your way of saving up certain kinds of fabrics and blocks until you have enough to make a quilt! This one is a lot of fun, with its sky and boats and water theme. It will make a great donation quilt!

Quilting Babcia said...

So fun to see this top looking like stained glass in the sunshine. I just love that sailboat block.

Cherie in St Louis said...

Woo hoo!! How fun is that?!?! Someone will have loads of fun finding all the interesting nautical things in you fun quilt :)

Jean said...

You should get an award for very creative designing. Keep on keeping on.

Linda said...

Love your idea of keeping suitable sea themed fabrics and blocks together so you can just create this lovely quilt on the hoof! The sail boat makes a great centre piece for a super donation quilt.

gayle said...

What fun! I love it! Your sea and sky theme is absolutely wonderful! Will you quilt it with seashells and starfish?

Quilter Kathy said...

Such a fun way of designing a quilt... I'd love to watch over your shoulder to see how you actually do this!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Great job turning all those bits and pieces into a lovely quilt top. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

Ariane said...

I love it! It's super cute!!

margaret said...

this will appeal so much to a sailor a great quilt with some lovely fabrics in it

Unknown said...

This is great. I love all the blues. Keep up your great work

MissPat said...

What a terrific idea. I love the sailbost block. I have some stripe fabric like that which could be used in the sails. Another idea to file away and hope I can find time for.
Pat

Monica said...

So pretty, Cathy! I hope it will find a good home. :D

Nann said...

What a wonderful collage! Great use of scraps and misc. blocks!

Kaja said...

I like the theme, and the quilt it turned into.

9658 Textiles said...

This one is great! It is a gem for sure.

Lisa J. said...

This turned out wonderfully. I love it!

Ann said...

So creative, Cathy. I love the way you mixed blocks and crumbs. How lovely to have so many sailboat fabrics, too. Thanks for linking with AHIQ.

Anonymous said...

I've seen that quilt before. :-) Liked it on Sunshine and like it here too. Claire

Mystic Quilter said...

This quilt top looks beautiful with the light behind it, reminds me of a stained glass window! Love the wonderful bright sailing ship.

JanineMarie said...

I love how this quilt tells a story of sea and sky! From scraps!