It started in November 2011 with a bunch of old embroidery transfers I accumulated over the years.
And now it all has ended in a crazy quilt 55x62. I call it Crazy Basket Case. About 95% of it has been hand stitched. I added the red border (without the trim and rickrack which was stitched on by hand) by machine and I added the binding by machine but stitched it down by hand.
I stitched a block a month as part of the Crazy Quilt Journal Project 2012
Each block included a basket and seam embellishments - all washable since this will be put to use in the winters at our house which is only heated by wood.
Evidently a quilt by most definitions contains a top, batting and backing stitched together, not tied. By that definition this is a quilt. After my top was finished I sort of free motion quilted it to the backing using red perle #8. See that running stitch up on the white spot? That's what I did all through the quilt but most of the time it is not as visible because I ran it on top of or under some stitches on the blocks.
I splurged on the trim in the border and just love, love, love how it looks.
I crocheted a little basket for each of the four corners.
I haven't washed it yet. I'm anxious to see how it will hold up. I bought some color catchers to throw in the washer with it since most of the threads and fabrics are red and I don't want to take a chance on them running. I'm hoping after a wash it will have that crinkly effect I love on quilts.
The backing is red with baskets. The red perle #8 I used to do the hand stitched "free motion" quilting blends in perfectly. I bound it like a sane quilt - the binding is scrappy - different red fabrics.
Now I just need to add a label and get up the courage to wash it.
It feels so good to be finally finished.