Tuesday, October 3, 2023

It's A Top! Orphan Gertrude



It's a top! 
Orphan Gertrude
42 x 54

Continuing on from September the theme in my sewing space this month will also be "Orphans".  I may also throw in a few WITBs (What's In The Box) if I get tired of "Orphans". Of course I can always stray from the theme and do other things if I feel like it. 


The traditional name for this block is Arrowhead Puzzle. Bonnie Hunter (Quiltville) made the block more well known as Garlic Knots.   Someone gave me 45 of these 6 inch blocks and for this orphan block quilt I made 18 more blocks from some 2 inch scraps. 

And sew on...

 

9 comments:

Nann said...

Your sewing room, your rules -- and boy, you crush 'em! (Though with Garlic Knots that may be pretty pungent.)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I like this orphan!!

Tammy said...

All your quilts are so inspirational to me. I love any ideas for scraps and yours are just the best

Linda said...

This quilt top is really striking. Fancy making 45 blocks and then giving them away!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

This is a pretty one. I like the blocks with the darker background colors sprinkled through it.

gayle said...

Gertrude is such a cutie!

Jenny said...

So is she also known as Gertude Garlic, or Garlic Gertude? Whatever name, she is very cute and swimming with colour, well done.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I agree with Wanda, though - the darker backgrounds on some of the blocks REALLY drew my eye. I'll have to make one or two of this quilt...its lovely! Deb E / CA

Helenchaffin said...

I luv the layout of these blocks!