Saturday, June 19, 2021

Purple Plain and Simple

This year I have been working on scrap chunk reduction. I define scrap chunks as anything bigger than a six inch square and less than a fat quarter.  Most of my RSC (Rainbow Scrap Challenge) blocks this year use 3.5 inch and/or 2 inch pieces so if possible I cut a 3.5 inch width of fabric and a 2 inch width of fabric off of my scrap chunks in the color of the month. Then I make my RSC blocks. After that I do a clean up of what didn't get used in blocks.  The results of the clean up go into the Parts Department and will be used in the future in a variety of different ways. 

If there are at least two 3.5 inch squares of a scrap then I make Four Patches (above) that finish at 6 inches.  

One 3.5 inch square and four 2 inch squares and a few neutral scraps get made into Uneven Nine Patches.  They also finish at six inches. 

I also cut some 3.5 inch squares and 2.5 x 3.5 inch rectangles. I do have a project in mind for the future that will use those rectangles. Anything less than a 3.5 inch square gets sewn into a strip for a future Chinese Coins quilt. I have a whole box of strips in a variety of widths and in all colors of the rainbow so it should be fun to make a quilt out of those one of these days. 

I also make Four Patches for the Parts Department out of 2 inch width leftovers as part of my clean up process.  These finish at 3.5 inches. 

And I cut 2 inch squares and anything less than a square gets sewn into a strip or strips. 

After I finished that cleanup process I made some Indian Hatchet blocks that finish at 4 inches. 

That's about the end of my purple scraps except for what I will use to make slab and crumb blocks at a later date. 


 

18 comments:

MissPat said...

I wish I could be as organized in using up scraps. I should probably start by narrowing done which blocks I make and finding a better solution to parts department storage. But his week I've hardly sewn a stitch as I've tried to get the rest of the plants in the ground (or pots) during a brief (but mostly rainless) lull in the heat.
Pat

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

I love all the different varieties of blocks you make!

Ivani said...

I am always impressed with the great amount of beautiful blocks you make during a week. Great, Cathy! You rock!!
Have a wonderful weekend.

Julierose said...

All so pretty--just really love the Hatchet blocks in those purples...neat...
hugs, Julierose

cspoonquilt said...

What a great system for your scraps, no wonder you get sew much done!! I they are all so pretty.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Great idea to make 4 patches in different sizes for the Parts Department! They're so useful. I've about used up my purple scraps, too - but I didn't start out with very many!

Ann said...

You have an excellent system. It helps your productivity although you're always the champ of finishes.

Lianne makes stuff said...

I seriously need to start doing something like this, well done being so economic

Linda said...

A veritable plethora of purple! Well, I have just come back from watching a production of Hamlet!

Jenny said...

Looks like you have nailed this organisation business with your scraps. Not like some of us like me who have everything all jumbled together in plastic bags.

gayle said...

You are definitely the Scrap Queen! Someday I hope to be as organized as you, but then again I'm generally way too optimistic...

Cathy said...

I love all your blocks and your economy! I generally do the same thing with my scraps, but I prefer to cut the pieces with a half inch extra (2.5” instead of 2) to keep the math simple. That said, however, I’m finding more and more blocks I “need” that use 2” scraps. What’s a Scrapette to do?!?

The Joyful Quilter said...

That's a HUGE variety of PURPLE, Cathy!!

Astrid said...

Love all the purples and blocks. Great way to reduce stash. I strongly believe being (stash/scrap) organized makes it easier to work on reducing scraps.

Pamela Arbour said...

Purple is not my color for decorating but it sure makes up good in quilts. You make them look scrumptious.

swooze said...

You’ll have to show us your stash repository. You always have things amazingly organized in your parts department it seems. Great blocks!

Lin said...

You are doing really well with your purples. xx

QuiltGranma said...

What a lovely bunch of blocks, great way to use up the scraps!