Monday, December 16, 2019

Two Red, White, Blue Flimsies

 Red, White, Blue Strings
70 x 78

This year I've completed a lot of tops in red, white and blue. That resulted in a lot of red, white and blue strings so I decided to make this quilt to use those strings as well as some red and blue scraps that went into those HSTs. 

The inspiration for this quilt (below)...


...came from a quilt called String Fling from American Patchwork and Quilting August 2012 designed by Glenn Dragone. I made my blocks smaller (8.5 unfinished) so made more of them than in the instructions and I used paper as the foundation for the string blocks. My border is a little different than the instructions. So basically I used the picture as inspiration and did my own thing. 
 I think it has kind of a vintage vibe so maybe that is why I was drawn to it. 
 I also like string quilts and this one is a little different so I found it interesting. 
 I might have to give this one a try in a smaller donation quilt size and a different color way since my string box is still overflowing and this was fun to make. 
 Sail Away
60  x 72
from the book Sugar Sack Quilts by Glenna Hailey
 This called for 440 - two inch unfinished HSTs so lots of scraps were used to make them. Some scraps came from the recently finished Kansas Troubles top which also used 2 inch unfinished pieces. 
 I was kind of disappointed to see that I evidently used some off white instead of white when I made those HSTs for the smaller ship sails. That might be Kona Snow which I thought I kept in a separate place for use with 30s fabrics. Hopefully when all is quilted it won't be that noticeable but right now it really stands out to me although I hadn't noticed when the top was inside. Guess I need better lighting in the sewing room. 
 When I made that string quilt I pulled all the red, white and blue strings from the string box and put them in a separate box. Rather than throw the assortment back into the general population of strings I decided to make some wonky log cabin blocks. I'm aiming for 48 nine inch finished blocks. 
I also made some four inch red, white and blue crumb blocks. A lot of these crumbs came from trimming string blocks. I hate to throw anything away. I hate to waste plus I have an irrational fear that someday soon I will run out of fabric and regret throwing things away if I did so.  So, anyway...I put the crumb blocks into a nine patch. I'm aiming for 12 twelve inch finished nine patches with crumbs and red solid scraps. I think then I will add a blue sashing with red star cornerstones for another nice little donation quilt. 

13 comments:

gayle said...

Love your strings and crumbs, and that little boat quilt is fabulous! (The setting is perfect!)
I have that same irrational fear of running out of fabric. Probably something I got from my grandmas...

MissPat said...

Somehow I doubt you are any where near running out of fabric. But never fear, we will all send you some if that day ever comes. Great RWB finishes.
Pat

audrey said...

What great looking red/white/blue quilts! You always amaze me with how well your blocks play together. The log cabin with its mix of white and off-white strings is very appealing to me. I think I prefer blending those rather than keeping them apart!:)

Alison V. said...

Very pretty!

Louise said...

I'd love to see how that first quilt would look completely scrappy. I wonder if it needs a more controlled color scheme to not look mushy. Love it in R/W/B, for sure! I guess instead of Christmas in July, you're doing Independence Day in December :)

Linda said...

Brilliant flimsies and ideas for new blocks/future quilts.

roberta mill said...

Love the Sailboats. 'Run out of fabric'-makes me laugh. Is that possible? I enjoy seeing your work.

Ann said...

What a good way to use up your scraps. It's always fun to organize them into colors. I like the Sailboats, too, and should try one for my grandson sometime.

PatriciaLud said...

These quilts are gorgeous! I'm so inspired.

Violet Withey said...

Love all of them. The sail away would make a nice quilt of valor for someone that served in the navy.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Wow - you've been BUSY. Especially love the wonky log cabin blocks.

Nann said...

The sailboats are my favorite. There's something about the strings/triangles (first quilt) that is jarring to me...not sure why. You are THE BEST at using the crumbs!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

You are well on your way to more finishes with your newest blocks. I really love those sailboats too!