48 x 64
It's a Jungle Out There
While I was quilting a big quilt on my DSM I took a lot of breaks from quilt wrestling and switched to an old machine and made Housetop or Quarter Log Cabin blocks from the box of brown, green and a few yellow strings. I also added in a variety of green and brown critter fabrics for the centers- odd bits and pieces left over from bug jar quilts, I Spy swaps, etc. When I found I didn't have 48 pieces of critter fabrics I threw in some glow in the dark eyes from the Halloween fabrics.
I originally intended to make 10 inch blocks but due to a very stupid mistake I ended up with 8 inch blocks. I didn't figure that out until all blocks were made and I was at the square up stage, darn it. I was thinking a 60 x 80 quilt would be a nice size donation quilt for a big guy but now it's probably a nice size for a little guy.
In order to have the critters in the blocks oriented correctly I first made 12 top left blocks, then 12 top right, then 12 bottom left and finally 12 bottom right. Then I assembled them into blocks of four blocks and finally into rows and columns 3 x 4.
I see one block of four with some upside down frogs I didn't notice until I took these pictures. It bothers me enough to rip it out and orient it correctly. The bird string ended upside down too.
There might be another quilt in the left over in this assortment of strings but I think I'm going to re-sort again and add them in to different assortments - maybe add a few red and orange strings for a fall themed string pile. I still have lots of strings to use. A lot of these pieces are trimmings from quilt backs or odd sizes from the very end of a piece of yardage.
Using green strings was my Rainbow Scrap Challenge challenge of the week.