54 x 78
Machine quilted and tied
Most of the Friendship Stars made of homespun fabrics and muslin were swapped long ago. When Bonnie Hunter was running her mystery this year I decided to make the units she gave in the clues to advance some of my UFOs forward and skip the mystery. Around the same time the Stashbuster Yahoo group was talking about an Irish Chain Challenge to bust stash. And so that's how I decided to make the nine patch units and add them to the Friendship Stars in an Irish Chain layout.
I quilted it on the diagonal in the muslin areas which left the star and nine patch homespuns without quilting. That was okay for the nine patch blocks but left a little less quilting in the star blocks so I tied them in the center with perle #8.
This will be a donation quilt for a guy when the time is right. Seems like a lot of male family and friends were hit by prostate cancers and such last year so I'll be glad to have one handy for giving although I hope I don't have a need to give it away under such circumstances.
And now that I see this picture up close it looks like I might wash it again. The Color Catcher came out just a little gray and dingy looking with no color. I thought the muslin looked a little dingy but I chalked that up to using a gray backing and it possibly showing through to the front. But now that I see the photo it looks like there might be a little bit of bleeding like around the green/blue star. I hope it's just an optical illusion. It's difficult to wash quilts by hand around here now that I have the wringer washer. (Actually, if you asked any of the men in my life if they saw anything wrong with the quilt they wouldn't even notice a little bleeding or dingy muslin. They would think something was wrong if it wasn't long enough to cover them properly while in a reclining position.)
Today I'm linking up to Oh Scrap! at Quilting is More Fun than Housework.