Sunday, February 19, 2017

Triangle Stars Finished !!



Scrappy Triangle Stars
56.5 x 75
Hand quilted


Last year I made one triangle star each month from little bits and pieces of scraps. I used a paper template and cut each triangle piece of the star individually by hand.  Each block was made in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color of the month.  For the backgrounds I used chunk scraps  in solids or tone on tones. 

I used different colors of hand quilting thread.  I hand quilted 1/4 inch inside each triangle in hand quilting thread the color of the star. 


You can't see it very well but I quilted stars in different sizes in the background areas.  I used simple star templates and traced around them with a hera marker. Again I used hand quilting thread in the color of the background to quilt the stars.  


I used a low volume print I had on hand for the backing so all of the hand quilting in the various colors shows up on the back.   I like to use Hobbs Heirloom cotton batting when I hand quilt and since this was a smaller quilt I pieced my batting. I didn't have any problems hand quilting with pieced batting. 


I couldn't think of what to use for binding that would look good on the front. I finally decided to try facing a quilt.  This was my first time trying it and I'm glad I did. 

This one is for me. 


and use those scraps because



29 comments:

Ariane said...

Congrats on a beautifully finished quilt!! It's gorgeous!!!

Deborah said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful quilt. I cannot imagine all of those tiny triangles!!

Libby in TN said...

Holy Scrapbusters! Beautiful finish. Thanks for sharing.

gayle said...

I'm so glad you're keeping it! I love love love this quilt! (But you knew that - I've told you often enough!)
The hand quilting is the perfect finish for this gorgeousness

Anonymous said...

That is a lot of detailed work! It looks great! Beautiful finish.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I knew this one would be beautiful! Definitely a keeper!

Jeanne said...

Wow - another dazzler! How do you get so much done?!

Quilter Kathy said...

It's gorgeous! I can't believe it's finished already with that much quilting in it!
Congrats on another beauty!

PeggyinNO said...

What a great finish! And hand quilted to boot! I know you'll have great memories of putting this one together each and every time you snuggle under it! Enjoy!

Angie said...

Gorgeous finish, Cathy! It's been fun watching this quilt progress! You're inspiring me to try new color combinations and that's a good thing. I'd keep this one for myself, too!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

This is absolutely lovely! I am happy to hear you are keeping this one for yourself. Everything about it is perfect. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Suzanne said...

Beautiful pattern and finish...congrats!

Sarah said...

Theres something hypnotic about a sign that says finish!!! Who can resist looking at it! Well done it is a real beauty!

Deb A said...

Simply gorgeous! so glad you are keeping this one for you to enjoy.

Cherie in St Louis said...

This is stunning!! Absolutely stunning:) You are so productive...I love seeing your projects.

Terry said...

Such a gorgeous quilt! What a lot of time and effort put into it too.

Robin said...

What a dazzling little quilt. It almost looks like stained glass. I love the hand quilting. Nice job!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Those colourful stars just shine! Great job on this lovely quilt! I have not tried facing a quilt yet,

Nana said...

love the scrappy stars and the colorful backgrounds. You seem to be very quick with the hand quilting. Beautiful

Karen's Korner said...

Scrappy quilts are my favourite and yours is just beautiful. Nice work.

Jill said...

Awesome. I can't imagine piecing so many triangles. Good for you on your hand quilting,

Sandy Panagos said...

What a beautiful quilt! I love the way you quilted it, and I am so glad you're keeping it for yourself. Good for you!

Louise said...

I don't blame you one bit for keeping this one! What a beauty. Facing was the right way to go for the edge treatment. Love all those quilted stars, too!

Ann said...

Congratulations on another beautiful finish. I'm so impressed with how quickly you hand quilt. I've faced quilts before but only wall quilts.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Another stunning finish -- SO happy that this one is for YOU!!!

liniecat said...

Stunning !!!
This is amazing and quite beautiful ....

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh that is just gorgeous!! Glad you are keeping it!

Monica said...

Wow, this is just brilliant, Cathy. I love the sort of paintbox feel that it has. Wonderful finish, congratulations!

Kaja said...

This was already one of my favourites, so I'm happy to see it done. I love the movement and the way the colours work together. Facing it was a good move too. How nice you're keeping one for yourself.