Wednesday, January 17, 2018

What's In The Box?

 This year I decided I would try to use up  all my holiday fabrics - a self-imposed Holiday Cheer Challenge.   I have a Christmas project box that I haven't been into for ages so decided to get it out and check the contents.  I didn't find a Partridge in a Pear Tree but did find: 

 56 Christmas Happy Blocks (swapped long ago with 4 inch centers and 2 inch sides)
 7 Christmas Happy Blocks (from who knows where with 4.5 inch centers and 2 inch sides)
 8 - seven inch Ornaments (in a bag along with some green background fabrics from the thrift store)
 1 Vintage Spin block (untrimmed and centerless.  I think I was going to make a Peppermint Twist quilt??? because I found the block on top of)...
 ...a pile of peppermint fabrics. 
 47 - Five inch swapped Christmas Charms
 14 Delectable Mountain blocks ( leftover from making a Delectable Mountain quilt of Christmas fabrics. Some blocks were swapped.)
 A big uncounted pile of 6.5 inch swapped squares. 
 29 - Four inch HSTs (left over from making a tree skirt plus three corner pieces cut off of tree skirt to make an octagonal shape. Not sure where fourth corner went???) 
 19 - 10 inch Roman Stripe blocks (I don't even remember making)

And that's the end of the box contents.  
So, what to do...what to do...


I made 34 more Happy Blocks to add to the 56 that were in the box.  Now I have 90 for a 9 x 10 layout (58.5 x 65).   This will make a third Christmas quilt for me. And that is how many grandchildren I have so when they get older and have their own homes they can each have one. 

I'm thinking about what to do with the rest of the box contents and my box of Christmas fabrics.  Time will tell. 

18 comments:

Jeanne said...

I have two tubs and a suitcase full of Christmas fabric. I will never in my lifetime make that many more Christmas quilts. I'll watch and see what you do with all yours! :)

Linda said...

What amazing finds! Treasure Trove. You certainly didn't waste any time making those extra Happy Blocks.

Quilting Babcia said...

Good for you getting such an early start! I'd love to make Christmas quilts for each of the 8 grands, though it might take my lifetime to get them all accomplished. Then there are those two Norman Rockwell Christmas panels waiting some borders and FMQ action - one of these years!

em's scrapbag said...

Now that's a lot of Christmas cheer.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I have holiday fabrics to make four Christmas quilts later this year. I'm hoping to use up most of them but the remains will go into a resource box for future projects. You found A LOT of pieces and parts in your box!

mangozz said...

Wow! What a selection of Christmas fabrics! All you need now is a lot more grandchildren.

gayle said...

Ho ho ho! Can't wait to see what you get up to with all this jolly goodness!

audrey said...

Oh you are so ambitious! Starting in on Christmas quilts already.:)

Quilter Kathy said...

That was a real treasure box you found! So many unique blocks!
I think a peppermint quilt would be fun!

---"Love" said...

Wish my Christmas stash had that many blocks already made! Have fun with yours! ---"Love"

Louise said...

There must still be some Christmas crafting fairy dust in the air, because I was working on a Christmas quilt today, too. The fabric I had set aside for borders was in the way, so I cut and sewed the borders. Done and done. Happy blocks are great for Christmas fabrics, and you have quite a variety!

Sally Trude said...

What a wonderful collection of prints and blocks. I think you're going to win first prize in the Stash Tour Challenge (STC).

Cathy said...

Wow, what a collection of great prints. And some of those are OLD. I know that because I have some of them too! I really need to set aside a week to cut and sew Xmas blocks from my fabrics too. Hmmmm that would make a good OMG, wouldn’t it? I’ll certainly be watching you for ideas!!

Ann said...

My goodness, that's a lot of Christmas blocks and fabrics. Good luck figuring out what to do with it, Cathy. Three Xmas quilts and three grandchildren sounds perfect. Any nieces or nephews?

Pamela Arbour said...

Oh my! you have a lot of great fabrics. I am sure you will have an eureka moment and you will know exactly what to do with them. Keep us posted.

Adventurous Quilter said...

I don't buy Christmas fabrics anymore and am determined to use mine up. So I love this post!

Anita SS said...

Love you idea to save them with the your grandchildren. To use up more of the fabrics you could make each of your grandchildren a Christmas tree skirt to go with their quilts.

Ellen said...

Wow...you found a treasure trove of fabric goodies!