Sunday, July 9, 2017

Two Sets of Finished Pillowcases


These pillowcases were stamped for embroidery and hemstitched ready for a crochet edging.  My daughter found them in her mother-in-law's things when she passed away and asked me if I wanted them.  Sure!  (I received several unfinished sets and did finish one set a while ago for my daughter and son-in-law).   Can you tell I like variegated threads? 

This set I purchased at a thrift store ages ago.  Since I'm working on finishing up a few rose themed quilts I figured I might as well finish up some rose themed pillowcases to match. 

I probably should have used a smaller crochet hook to go with my #30 thread (11 instead of 8) but I can hardly see to crochet with an 11 hook. I think the edgings turned out just fine. 

I picked up the #30 thread I used for the crochet and the crochet edging books at the thrift store long ago too.  I'm finally getting around (now that I'm retired) to doing something with all those thrift store finds.   I have several more sets to embroider that will probably go into the grandkids' hope chests. 

And on a final note...one of my garden roses. Ahhhh...the scent!

Looking through rose colored glasses today and

17 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

The pillowcases are lovely. I'm impressed that you know how to crochet the edging on the pillowcases. I just carefully zig-zag lace on the edge. Your grandchildren will treasure these pillowcases when they are adult. Hand embroidery is a skill not everyone knows anymore.

gayle said...

Ahhh... The smell of roses...
Those pillowcases will be family heirlooms, I'm certain. And I love your roses theme this week!
(I hear you on those tiny crochet hooks. I know I used to use a size 11 (and even smaller) back in the day, but I'm pretty sure I'd be unable to see where the hooky part was these days.)

Julie in GA said...

I remember embroidering pillowcases like those when I was young. Yours are looking lovely!

Julierose said...

they came out so beautifully--I also did pillowcase embroideries--I still have a couple folded away...hugs, Julierose

Angie said...

The pillowcases came out fantastic! I've never done crochet edging like that, but I hear it calling my name. Maybe after I finish my hexie quilt and hand-quilting my eagle quilt! .

Connie said...

Your pillow cases are stunning. I love hand embroidered linens . . . such a sweet way to keep the vintage life alive and well, today :)
Beautiful work.
Connie :)

Linda said...

Lovely pillow cases. Is there no end to your talents? Embroidery and crochet! They all look super.

CathieJ said...

I love how the variegated thread stitched up on those pillowcases. The edging is a nice addition.

---"Love" said...

Your embroidery and crochet are beautiful on the pillowcases! I hope your grandchildren will realize what a treasure you have made for them. I also love your pretty rose blooms too. ---"Love"

claudia said...

Everything's coming up roses! And they are all beautiful! Love the scent of Roses! Nothing compares.

Janie said...

Beautiful work!
Crocheted edging is gorgeous.
Thanks for sharing.

Robin said...

I think the edgings are great! And I love the varigated thread. It's just perfect for the roses. There is nothing quite so nostalgic as sleeping on embroidered pillow cases. I love the smell of a freshly pressed case.

Deb said...

Your pillow cases turned out beautiful and the edging is perfect. I love the use of variegated threads. I believe I have the same edging book somewhere on my shelves, the one with the black cover. I think I'll search for it this week.

Cathy said...

I love old embroidered pillowcases and have way too many sets. One set was a wedding gift back in 1974, the rest are estate sale finds. I guess I should save them for passing down, although I'm not sure who would appreciate them. Your crocheted edgings are beautiful on the pillowcases.

margaret said...

beautifully embroidered and the crochet edging really sets them off so well.Like you I love a varigated thread

CathyQuilts said...

I slept on hand embroidered pillow cases with crochet edges made by my grandmother for many years as a child. Thanks for the memories!

Kaja said...

Old-fashioned rose smell is quite possibly my favourite smell in the world.
Your crochet looks more than fine to me, though I don't know much about these things, and I like the variegated effect: subtle but definitely there.