Tuesday, July 25, 2017

I Sent My Heart to a Robin and It Has Returned


This is the fourth year (I think) that I have joined a round robin called Cotton Robin.  You send off a center block, get someone's block to add a first border, get another block to add a second border and finally get a little quilt top to quilt and bind. 

I like to join in to things like this because it gets creative juices flowing, sometimes takes you out of your comfort zone and you always do your best work because it's someone else's quilt.  I'm not very good at adding borders to quilts so this gives me some practice. Plus at the end of it all you get a fantastic little quilt ready to hang on the wall in return. 

In January I sent off the middle six inch postage stamp heart and this is what was returned. It's always a surprise to see what other's think of adding to your center block. WOW. I love it! 


The first block I received to work on was the feather and white background.  I first added the thin black border and then the rest.  I thought and thought and thought and couldn't come up with what to add for a border and so finally remembered I had some scraps left over from making my Feather Bed quilt.  The scraps were already sewn on the diagonal like the center feather so all I did was cut strips and sew them on. 

I then sent it on to someone else to add the second border. 


 The next block I received to work on was the chicken with the leaf/stem border.   I added the yellow batik with red "chicken scratch".    There were a lot of little pieces sewn together for that one!   Then I sent it on to someone for quilting. 
 This is the little quilt I received for finishing.    
I wasn't sure what to do with this one. I finally quilted it by hand with different colors of thread. 
I finally quilted it by hand with different colors of thread.  For the backing and binding I used some orange scraps. 


If you want to see all the participant's starting blocks and ending quilts visit  the Cotton Robin Big Reveal post. 

If you would like to read more about other improv quilting that has gone on recently visit the 
AdHoc Improv Quilting link at Kaja's (Sew Slowly) and  Ann's (Fret Not Yourself) blogs. 

11 comments:

Ann said...

What fun to see all the different borders. People are so inventive. I like your chicken scratch. I've seen fabric similar but never thought of creating it myself. So much better!
Thanks for linking with AHIQ.

Goofin' Off Around the Block said...

What a fun idea for an exchange. All the projects turned out quite fun. Happy sewing! --Andrea

Janie said...

That 'working outside your comfort zone' would broaden your ability and horizons too.
It takes bravery.
I think that's one of the reasons your quilts turn out so well.

mangozz said...

What cute, colorful little quilts! That sounds like it would be so much fun. You must have some sort of deadline to meet though - hopefully not too much pressure.

Louise said...

Each piece is so different! Looks like you had fun with your round robin, and I really like your finished piece.

Cathy said...

That is a cute quilt, and I really enjoyed the reveal post, too. It looks like it would be a really fun activity. Are they going to do it gain?

margaret said...

some lovely mini quilts here round robins can be such fun though only took part in one and that was an embroidery one

Kaja said...

This looks like a lot of fun, and a great way to try new things, as you say.

make.share.give said...

Those quilts are all so fun and bright!

gayle said...

Your 'chicken scratch' is truly inspired! (And I love that starter chicken, of course!)
I love seeing your round robins quilts each year - so many surprises and innovations. The completed quilts are just amazing in their creativity!

Audrey said...

Great way to stretch yourself. We used to do this in our quilt group. No pressure!! Lol really fun to see your results here!