Friday, May 26, 2017

Decisions, Decisions...


I have some old Chunky Churn Dashes in 30s reproductions from a swap.  I was thinking I would finish a quilt of these this quarter. I think I have maybe 50 or so of these six inch blocks and originally I was thinking I would set them on point.  But that doesn't give me a very big quilt and I was not thinking of making any more blocks. I was also thinking I don't really like to add borders. 



I was thinking I had a bunch of nine patches in 30s repros but then remembered I had combined most of them with some apple blocks when I made my Ten Apples Up on Top quilt for the hope chest. 

Well, what do the Chunky Churns look like combined with nine patches?  They look like they kind of get lost in the shuffle...might as well just have a nine patch quilt. 


Ok, well what if I combine the CCDs with nine patches with white corners? 
Maybe...but I don't have very many of these nine patches and what I do have are thrown in with other six inch 30s repro blocks for a 30s mish-mash quilt. 



I have a whole bunch of framed four patches in 30s reproductions but they are eight inch blocks which means I would have to frame the CCDs in order to bring them up to the same size. 

Well, maybe...so what else do I have? 

Well, really I have no other 30s repro blocks to play with but...

...if I wanted to combine with some calicos instead of staying with strictly 30s I do have a lot of calico and muslin spools. 

Decisions, decisions...

9 comments:

Julierose said...

Oh it's interesting how blocks work/don't work together...always surprising...
have fun picking ....hugs, Julierose

Nicole said...

I love that you have enough blocks of a kind to try out different options! I like the spool blocks the best. The white spaces make an interesting shape.

Or what about a baby/crib quilt? Would probably use up all the blocks in a 6x8 layout. Wouldn't need borders either. Good luck deciding!

Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

I still have a shoebox full of Dear Jane blocks from the late 90's...doubt I'll ever do anything with them. Not enough for a bed quilt, too old to be interesting as a wall quilt.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Thats a lot of options - I sort of like them with the spools - sort of frames the chunky block.... hmmm decisions....

Linda said...

So many choices. I like the Spool blocks idea. They are very distinctly different from the CCD blocks and actually draw attention to them. That's the option I would go for. Good luck!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

What ever you do, it is going to be a happy, fun quilt--love those prints!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Such an assortment of 30's prints--My Grandmother Rebecca loved quilting with these fabrics.

Louise said...

I like them with the spools! You're right that they sort of get lost with the nine patches. They need some diagonal angles to set off the right angles in the Chunkies.

Kaja said...

It's interesting to see how you work this out - your quilts always end up looking like things were just meant to go together, but I don't think I've ever seen this stage in the process before.