Monday, May 22, 2017

A Finish: Country Nine Patch


Country Nine Patch
72 x 90
Machine quilted and tied



I swapped these nine inch blocks a very long time ago.  I'm not sure why I left these on my UFO list for so long but I'm glad I can cross another quilt off the list.  It's a nice twin sized quilt so I'm thinking I will put it in the to-be-donated-or-gifted pile.   It's nice to have a few spares in that pile for unexpected events. 

I would have stitched in the ditch if I could stay in the ditch.  Instead I sewed on the diagonal 1/4 inch or so inside the diagonal seams depending upon which side of the seam I was sewing on. With the nine patches on the diagonal the stitching sometimes ended up in the nine patch and sometimes outside the nine patch.  


I used some variegated cream, blue, brown yarn leftover from crocheting hats to tie the quilt in the center of the nine patches and where the blocks meet.  The quilt just called for it.  I haven't tied a quilt for a long time (since the 70s?) so it was kind of fun to do for a change.  I think it took as long to tie the quilt as it did to machine stitch around the nine patches.   I bound it with a sort of country red I had in the stash. 



For the backing I used a country looking 100% cotton sheet I found at the thrift store. 

It really feels good to empty a box, free up some space and finish an old UFO!! 



19 comments:

Carolien said...

Oh that quilt is lovely! Great finish!

Frog Quilter said...

Love the design idea. I may use this idea to create a quilt using homespun fabrics. Really pretty and would make a good man quilt.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

It looks great, and I am sure it is a big relief to have a UFO weight off your shoulders. I have a few swapped blocks I need to put together. Love the idea of tying a quilt. I've always meant to do one, but haven't gotten around to it.

gayle said...

Nine pstches may be the best block ever! So many ways to set them, and every way is beautiful! I love tnis happy quilt!

Monica said...

This is just so classic and inviting, Cathy. I must make something along these lines soon! Congratulations, great finish!

Julierose said...

Lovely finish..I plan on tying my Star Rise--so many seams! hugs, Julierose

---"Love" said...

Your nine patches made a very pretty quilt. (I can't stay in the ditch either; I keep jumping out and making new ruts!) ---"Love"

Betty said...

Love the clothesline and laundry basket next to the quilt. Brings back memories of when I was a kid. We don't even have a clothesline anymore...

Quiltdivajulie said...

Nice combination of quilting and tying -- and this was the perfect quilt for it. Congrats on another finish!!

Linda said...

Another great quilt. Love your tying. I enjoy tying strip quilts, they seem to call for it.

Janie said...

This is the best kind of quilt, classic! I want a clothesline too!

barbara woods bewtjw@gmail.com said...

Love that quilt! Want to make one!

Ann said...

Another beautiful quilt. Your mix of machine quilting and tieing is quite intriguing.

Louise said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who isn't great at stitch in the ditch. It's hard to be that precise! Your "along the diagonals" pattern works well with the hand-tying. Such a pretty and classic quilt!

margaret said...

liking how you have set these blocks looks really good. I too struggle with quilt in the ditch but did do some the other day on a bag with black sashing so the straying does not show too much being black stitching

els said...

To me you are the American queen of scraps. Your quilts are so vivid and colourful and pretty, they always make me smile. I like the combination of hand tying and machine stitching. Chapeau!

Jan said...

Sweet! These are my favorite style of quilts. Looks so comfy, and homey.

Andrea said...

Ohhh - First impression - I LIKE THAT! :) It's so nice to sometimes finish things up that just look perfect for a winter night. Enjoy your quilt!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! Love the colours