Friday, November 22, 2013

Nifty Thrifties

I have finally finished another UFO.  
72x84

We swapped these blocks with ladies of a Yahoo Group that no longer exists. We swapped blocks in a different color each month during 2009 after the block pattern came out in March 2009. 



The blocks have been sitting in a bin for years.  I have almost enough pink blocks for another quilt this size. 
No fancy quilting on this one. I just sewed on the diagonal through the black squares. I didn't notice while sewing the blocks together that a few of them have the black squares in the corner oriented the wrong way. I only noticed while quilting and left them that way.  I think the purpose of a quilt is to keep someone warm and pieces going the wrong direction won't change that. 

The backing fabric I wanted to use wasn't large enough so I used some swapped violet blocks. If  I use more of the violet blocks in another quilt then I won't have anything left in the violet block UFO bin and that's fine with me.  I swapped the violet blocks with ladies of the Block_swappers Yahoo group and the pattern is another one of Sophie's Block Lotto blocks. 

I think the violets go well with the background fabric. 

And it feels good to have another UFO finished! 


This was also my November goal for Lovely Year of Finishes. And it is indeed a Lovely Finish. 

20 comments:

Terri said...

Love the front and the back! An Amazing Quilt!
Hugs

sophie said...

It's stunning! Kudos to whomever came up with the idea to swap this block in different colors. I love it.

Julierose said...

This is such a lovely scrappy quilt! i love it Hugs, Julierose

Jasmine said...

I LOVE this scrappy rainbow quilt. The blocks go together so well. I think the turned four patches add character.

Amy said...

Love the rainbow of colors. Just beautiful!

Jennie @ Porch Swing Quilts said...

This one jumped right off the page at me. So pretty! Great finish!

Carol E. said...

It's beautiful, and isn't it a great feeling getting an old one done?? WTG!

audrey said...

Very lovely! It has a very rich look to it that makes the scrappiness really shine. Great finish.:)

Lori said...

its lovely, and I never noticed the black bits! I like the violet blocks on the back, they go perfectly

Vic in NH said...

Wow! I love this quilt! And, my goodness, wasn't the wind just a-blowin' as you were taking pictures. The back is almost as pretty as the front, too.

Ellen said...

Gorgeous..I really like the way you did the layout front and back!

Nann said...

Both sides are wonderful! The black/white/bright blocks are indeed nifty! Thanks for sharing the blog post with Block Lotto. Now I've gotcha bookmarked.

Katie Z. said...

Wowza! What a fabulous quilt to have finished.

Lisa said...

Oh my, how I love this. I really really love this!!! Absolutely stunning.

Kat said...

Well done on the big finish! You are absolutely right about the purpose of a quilt. Blocks going the wrong way don't affect it's warmth or cuddliness!

Lisa England said...

I love this! The front and the back!

CeLynn said...

Congratulations on a wonderful finish of turning a UFO into into a FO! The story behind the quilt is lovely,and if you had not pointed out the turned blocks,we would never have known :)

Heather North said...

That is a LOT of blocks! I bet it feels good to have this UFO done. Love the rainbow of colors.

Amanda said...

That looks great! I love the rainbow-ness of it.

Lisa said...

Lovely quilt, thanks for sharing.