Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Crazy Basket Case Update

Every month I've made a block for my Crazy Quilt Journal Project 2012 (CQJP 2012) challenge which is a lap quilt called "Crazy Basket Case" which uses a lot of vintage transfers of baskets, is mostly done in reds and white, and hopefully I have finished each seam with a different treatment.

For December I have two blocks finished and ready to submit. But then I have several more blocks to finish in order to complete enough for my lap quilt.



 CQJP 2012 December block 1
 CQJP 2012 December block 2.
 And here are all my finished blocks so far laid out with the rest of the remaining  baskets embroidered and ready for cq blocks to fill in some blank spots. That means I have 5 blocks to complete before I can start assembly of my lap quilt. (Actually, I've got the top block that is unfinished in this photo almost finished but have stopped working on it in order to finish up Christmas gifts. I will add a scrappy red border and I'm not sure how I will quilt it but I'm mulling over a few ideas. I think I'll remove that large crochet flower with button center that sticks out like a sore thumb in the middle of the quilt and replace it with a few smaller crocheted flowers.
And here's a weird photo that makes it look like I have a design wall instead of a design floor. I took the photo from the other end of the one above this one and rotated it. So, here's my quilt from a different perspective.   Finished size will be about 56 x 66.  And this won't be a gift for anyone else but will be all mine. I rarely keep anything for myself but I don't think anyone else I know would even appreciate all the work that went into this so I'm not sharing.


Now I've signed on for CQJP 2013 and I will be making another lap quilt. In fact...I've already started on it because I'm so excited about it.

I'm linking up to Sharon Boggon's Pintangle blog for Work in Progress Wednesday. If you want to learn to crazy quilt that's definitely a blog you have to visit.

5 comments:

Gerry Krueger said...

I'm with you if it's labor intensive... only a few I know appreciate it. My 5 year old granddaughter thought the Morris book should be for her... no no no... Ger

Annelies said...

This is soo beautiful !!

Rose said...

I love this! Great idea to use basket transfer patterns. I have a red and white crazy quilt I started some time ago and need to get back to it. All the embroidery was done with red on white. I call it "Crazy for Redwork". I plan to border the whole quilt with red and white yoyos.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

This is just gorgeous! Love the red & white palette you are using. I agree with you - only another CQer would appreciate the value of your beautiful work. Keep it and enjoy it!

Anonymous said...

I look forward to seeing what your 2013 project is going to be.