Sunday, February 7, 2010

Valentine Quilts


Kayla's Valentine Quilt
A quilt for my granddaughter - twin bed size. You can't really tell from the photo but I used a flannel sheet with pink hearts from the thrift store as the backing. At $1.65 the price was right and it made for a cozy quilt.

Isabelle's Valentine Quilt

And this is for my other granddaughter. I used a red cotton sheet for the backing. Again, the sheet was from the thrift store, in excellent condition and at $1.25 I thought the price was right. Some people say you shouldn't used sheets as backing - they don't sew right, don't wear as long, etc. I have had no problems. My grandmother used flannel sheets as batting, old clothes as the basis for all her quilts and I am still using one of hers.


My Valentine Quilt.
Last year I made a quilt for myself from old valentine hankies. I have it on the bed in the guest bedroom now.

3 comments:

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Love the quilts..your grand daughters will be so excited and the quilt you made last year...wow.....well done on all your finishes Cathy, you are on fire.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful example of repurposing perfectly good sheets. They're beautiful. The girls are lucky to have these beauties.

Jo said...

lovely quilts! I like the hankies idea and sheets as backing, it looks great!

my favourite quilt is the vintage valentine I've seen in a patchwork magazine, ,it looks like that would take me years to complete!