Sunday, October 6, 2013

Just Like Grandma Used to Make


The only quilt I have that my grandma made was falling apart when I inherited it. Now it is starting to turn brown in spots. I've always thought about trying to repair it but not sure it would be worth it. 

I'm pretty sure grandma made this during the depression years from old dresses my aunts wore. She told me that is what most of her quilts were made of. 

It is also weird that in places the blanket stitches are closer together than in other places.  I see one butterfly where someone must have used a sewing machine to zigzag down a butterfly to repair it. 

I'm probably not going to repair it, but it looks like I better wash it and learn how to store it properly before more deterioration occurs. 


I've always wanted to make one like it but I don't like to applique. I don't like to applique because I'm not good at it. I never will be if I don't try. 

So, now is the time to try to be like grandma.  Well, now really isn't the time. Maybe after dinner I'll relax in front of the TV with a glass of homemade wine and get started. Maybe...

Wish me luck!

Joining in with others who are Slow Sunday Stitching at Kathy's Quilts. 

5 comments:

Wendy said...

wishing you luck on this...will be a very pretty quilt when you finish...like you applique is not my forte...

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

A great pattern to learn to do applique. Do you plan to blanket stitch the edge? Perfect for that pattern and time frame. I used my machine to blanket stitch my Irish Rose quilt and it was so much fun.

carla said...

Hi!!! Great time to try!!! I love butterflies!!! It will be very pretty!!!

Quilter Kathy said...

Wishing you lots of luck and hoping you enjoy connecting with your Grandma while you hand stitching these pretty butterfly blocks! Thanks for linking up!

jan said...

I am so glad you are doing this. I love your fabric choice for the butterfly. can't wait to see it.
have fun.I am a new follower
xo jan@sewandsowfarm