Sunday, July 2, 2017

Four Down and Six to Go!


Four "Omaha Block" quilts (40 x 60) are now finished. 

Carol and Beth of the Sunshine Online Quilt Guild organized a recent retreat in Omaha. I was unable to attend but the ladies were expecting to complete 100 quilt tops at retreat made from blocks made all year long called "Omaha blocks" which are ten inch blocks that consist of a 7.5 inch center bordered on two sides with 3.5 inch strips and 3.5 inch square.  They exceeded expectations and ended up with 184 quilt tops! You can read more about it at Carol's blog, Giraffe Dreams.   Actually a couple of us sewed along at home so there are a few more than 184 quilt tops. 

All of the finished quilts will go to the two groups Sunshine Online Quilt Guild sponsor - Quilts Beyond Borders and Wrap-A-Smile. 

Okay...so I volunteered to quilt five of them. That's when the retreat ladies only thought they would hit 100 quilts.   So...surprise...I received 8 quilts to finish. Plus I made an Omaha Block quilt sewing along at home so that makes 9 quilts to finish. Plus I had a donation quilt waiting in the wings that needs quilting.   And that's okay...I need practice free motion quilting on my DSM.  


Omaha #1 had a lot of animals on it. 


I quilted with spirals...like in the borders on a couple of the blocks. 

I received some backing fabric from a Fabric Fairy for a couple of the quilts. This was one of those backings. 


Omaha #2 had a couple of cute elephants mixed in with the blocks. 



I quilted it with a little different flower than I usually quilt.  I usually make longer flower petals more like a daisy.   The elephants got their own little spiral quilting. 


I had this yellow floral baking in my stash. 


Omaha #3 - more cute elephants and a red theme, I guess. 


More spiral quilting (until I forgot what I was doing and spirals didn't spiral so much - they spiraled out of control) all over in red. 


I had purchased this fabric for backing when I volunteered to quilt five quilts. 


Omaha #4 - This one had a floral theme going. 


I tried quilting Nora's Rose - a fmq tutorial from The Inbox Jaunt in each square.   I'm working on a few rose themed quilts so thought I'd try my hand at some roses.   It still needs work. 

In the sashing I did some loopy things.  And the backing was another one from the Fabric Fairy. 


Now you notice I said I had six more donation quilts to get quilted. 
Well, I'm making it my July OMG (One Monthly Goal) to finish at least one more Omaha Block quilt. 


15 comments:

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Great job finishing these quilts. I love how each one has its own personality. Those elephant blocks are fun! Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Julierose said...

Four lovely finishes--love the cheerful colorways..nice work hugs, Julierose

Anonymous said...

I like the spiraling out of control1 That is one way new designs get created. :-)
Claire

Carol E. said...

Your quilting looks great! So nice to see a bunch of them getting finished.

Linda said...

How much you accomplish in such a short time never ceases to amaze me! Well done on these finishes . Now on with some more. Good luck, Cathy, you're a star!

Monica said...

They look wonderful on the line there! That is a great block for a charity quilt. :D

gayle said...

Woohoo! Look at you go!

Kathryn T said...

For sure heaps of fmq practice in these. All wonderful, and what a great lot of charity quilts. Awesome.

CathyQuilts said...

Love your Elephants! It strikes me that the block you describe, is one quarter of a disappearing 9 patch. You could set them with the two small blocks meeting, to give it another look.

I recognize a few of your fabrics, they've been in my stash too.

PaulaB quilts said...

Easy fun blocks, must have been amazing at,the retreat to get so many finished. Great charity.

margaret said...

how good to have so many quilts made by you and your ladies such a worthwhile cause and you have quilted them beautifully loving the one with the elephants.

---"Love" said...

Again, you are at it all the time, aren't you? Good job on all these! ---"Love"

Patty said...

Lovely of you to make donation quilts. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck on your project.

cspoonquilt said...

That's a great block for a charitable quilt top! I'll have to try that one. Kudos to you for so many charitable finishes!!

The Quilting Elf said...

Your FMQ is very nicely done - I loved your comment about "spiraling out of control". I get to daydreaming and that happens to me! Such wonderful quilts for the kids - thanks for volunteering to quilt. It certainly gets the finished quilts out to the kids more quickly. Hope you and yours are doing well over this holiday weekend. Too darn hot here in FL, but if that's our only complaint, then we are doing ok!
Kathy T. in Tampa