Four "Omaha Block" quilts (40 x 60) are now finished.
Carol and Beth of the Sunshine Online Quilt Guild organized a recent retreat in Omaha. I was unable to attend but the ladies were expecting to complete 100 quilt tops at retreat made from blocks made all year long called "Omaha blocks" which are ten inch blocks that consist of a 7.5 inch center bordered on two sides with 3.5 inch strips and 3.5 inch square. They exceeded expectations and ended up with 184 quilt tops! You can read more about it at Carol's blog, Giraffe Dreams. Actually a couple of us sewed along at home so there are a few more than 184 quilt tops.
All of the finished quilts will go to the two groups Sunshine Online Quilt Guild sponsor - Quilts Beyond Borders and Wrap-A-Smile.
Okay...so I volunteered to quilt five of them. That's when the retreat ladies only thought they would hit 100 quilts. So...surprise...I received 8 quilts to finish. Plus I made an Omaha Block quilt sewing along at home so that makes 9 quilts to finish. Plus I had a donation quilt waiting in the wings that needs quilting. And that's okay...I need practice free motion quilting on my DSM.
Omaha #1 had a lot of animals on it.
I quilted with spirals...like in the borders on a couple of the blocks.
I received some backing fabric from a Fabric Fairy for a couple of the quilts. This was one of those backings.
Omaha #2 had a couple of cute elephants mixed in with the blocks.
I quilted it with a little different flower than I usually quilt. I usually make longer flower petals more like a daisy. The elephants got their own little spiral quilting.
I had this yellow floral baking in my stash.
Omaha #3 - more cute elephants and a red theme, I guess.
More spiral quilting (until I forgot what I was doing and spirals didn't spiral so much - they spiraled out of control) all over in red.
I had purchased this fabric for backing when I volunteered to quilt five quilts.
Omaha #4 - This one had a floral theme going.
I tried quilting Nora's Rose - a fmq tutorial from The Inbox Jaunt in each square. I'm working on a few rose themed quilts so thought I'd try my hand at some roses. It still needs work.
In the sashing I did some loopy things. And the backing was another one from the Fabric Fairy.
Now you notice I said I had six more donation quilts to get quilted.
Well, I'm making it my July OMG (One Monthly Goal) to finish at least one more Omaha Block quilt.