84 x 96
Four inch hourglass blocks using grays and rose-themed fabrics
Free motion quilted with roses
This has been a UFO since 2012. When I dug it back out last month to work on I had five rows completed and all the hourglass blocks. I took the five rows apart and started all over again from scratch as explained in my June blog post.
I was a little scared to start out free motion quilting this big quilt on my DSM especially since I decided to try to imitate Lori Kennedy's (Inbox Jaunt) Christmas Rose.
When I first started out I thought I was going to quilt this into a piece of cardboard because there was so much stitching. I went down each column of blocks quilting the roses. I could have added a few more leaves along the way but I'm happy with it especially since a month ago it was all in bits and pieces and had been that way for years.
And, surprise, surprise...this quilt with all it's quilting doesn't feel like a piece of cardboard. It's got a nice soft texture.
You know I started out thinking I would use the light gray quilting thread I had on hand for the bobbin and a nice pink,gray, green variegated thread on top. Well...I ran out of the top thread. I was on a roll and hate the 20 minute drive into town just to buy thread (or anything else for that matter) and so I used other colors on top that might be a color of a rose - red, yellow, cream.
I made do.
I used a 100% cotton sheet I picked up from the thrift store long ago softened with age.
You can probably see now why I chose to try to quilt columns of roses - similar to roses on a trellis.
I'm happy this bed of roses can be put to bed.
The guest bedroom has a rose theme so guess where it's going.
I didn't use scraps but it's scrappy so going over to party at ...