Sunday, July 16, 2017

A Finish: MoROSE Garden


MoROSE Garden
84 x 96
Four inch hourglass blocks using grays and rose-themed fabrics
Free motion quilted with roses


This has been a UFO since 2012.   When I dug it back out last month to work on I had five rows completed and all the hourglass blocks.   I took the five rows apart and started all over again from scratch as explained in my June blog post. 


I had


I was a little scared to start out free motion quilting this big quilt on my DSM especially since I decided to try to imitate Lori Kennedy's (Inbox Jaunt) Christmas Rose.   


When I first started out I thought I was going to quilt this into a piece of cardboard because there was so much stitching.  I went down each column of blocks quilting the roses. I could have added a few more leaves along the way but I'm happy with it especially since a month ago it was all in bits and pieces and had been that way for years. 

And, surprise, surprise...this quilt with all it's quilting doesn't feel like a piece of cardboard. It's got a nice soft texture. 


You know I started out thinking I would use the light gray quilting thread I had on hand for the bobbin and a nice pink,gray, green variegated thread on top.  Well...I ran out of the top thread.  I was on a roll and hate the 20 minute drive into town just to buy thread (or anything else for that matter) and so I used other colors on top that might be a color of a rose - red, yellow, cream.  


I made do. 


I used a 100% cotton sheet I picked up from the thrift store long ago softened with age. 

You can probably see now why I chose to try to quilt columns of roses - similar to roses on a trellis. 



I'm happy this bed of roses can be put to bed. 
The guest bedroom has a rose theme so guess where it's going. 


I didn't use scraps but it's scrappy so going over to party at ...

24 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

This is a beautiful finish, Cathy! I really like the quilting you did on it. Glad you have the perfect spot for it in your house!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Congratulations on this finish -- the piecing, the theme, and the quilting!! It's really wonderful.

Julierose said...

Lovely finish on your roses--I think your quilting is beautiful...hugs, Julierose

Julie in GA said...

Great job on your new finish! Your quilting turned out great! I can't imagine quilting anything this big on my home machine, but you keep turning out beautiful quilts.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

such a nice use of scraps - love it

Ariane said...

Such a wonderful quilt! Congrats on a wonderful finish!!

gayle said...

Those quilted roses are the perfect choice for this rosy quilt! (If you keep being so inspiring with your FMQ, I might someday get a little more fearless with mine.) (Or at least, less fearful...)

Lisa Boyer said...

Gorgeous. Like strolling through a rose garden on a foggy day!

Linda said...

Lovely quilt. Cathy. Well done for finishing!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Beautiful Cathy. I love that rose quilting. I will have to give it a try sometime. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

The Joyful Quilter said...

You knocked that rosy UFO out of the park!! Well done.

---"Love" said...

It truly is a beautiful "Bed of Roses"! Wish I could quilt roses that well. I'd say it is a great finish. Use and enjoy it! ---"Love"

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A very pretty quilt! I love the gentle colour combo and your rose trellis quilting is a nice finish!

Ann said...

Such a simple block made a perfect choices for your rosy fabrics. Congratulations.

Angie said...

Great finish and kudos for trying something new for the machine quilting!

Cathy said...

Way to go! It's not only awesome that you finished up an old WIp, but that you were so ambitious with the new quilt design on a large quilt. You rock!

mangozz said...

You MoRose quilt looks quite good and the quilting is really cute too!

Monica said...

I think that sheet on the back is why it's not stiff. I love the quilting! I must remember this design. Another wonderful finish!

margaret said...

what a beauty well done to have completed it so quickly once you re started it. I have problems when I try to use different colour in the bobbin even if the same make the tension always seems to look wrong though if the same looks fine

Louise said...

It's beautiful! And it must feel so great to have it finally finished :)

Lisa S. said...

Beautiful finish!

Carolien said...

It's wonderful!

Kaja said...

This is one of my favourites!

Sophie Zaugg said...

It's a gorgeous quilt ! Thanks for participating in 2017 FAL, visiting on behalf of the cheerleading team.