Oh, gosh! Look what I found upstairs in the guest bedroom on top of the wardrobe with some finished quilts. Who hid it up there? Hmmmm... I guess it's a good thing I had company and freshened up the guest room. (Who knows what treasures I have hidden from myself all over the house. Treasure hunt, anyone?)
I started making this in 2011. I finished the top in 2012. And I started hand quilting it in Jan. 2013 but I didn't get very far and then I evidently hid it from myself. Hmmmm... (I was calling this bird brains since it features birds in most the snowballs but we can see who the real bird brain is here). It is also one of the few quilts I've made with a border and I even tried prairie points to boot. But, where did that lime green come from? I really despise lime green. That explains all of those lime green scraps now!
This was the first quilt I started quilting with regular thread (not perle). Back then I used no thimble or hoop. I got as far as stitching diagonally through all of the nine patches with an X. (I'm talking about the dark squares. I just added those Xs in the light patches last night). I remember it was very difficult to hand quilt because I used some batik on the back and it sure doesn't needle like butter.
The snowballs have a flower motif I traced with a stencil.
This really wasn't up next in my hand quilting queue since I finished hand quilting Petunias but it's started, been pinned and my body doesn't feel like it should get down on the floor to pin baste any other quilt so away we go hand quilting this one.
That batik back and you can see how much I already previously quilted.
So, I guess I'll do some Slow Sunday (and Monday and Tuesday and...) for awhile on this thing. I think it is Queen-sized.