Friday, May 24, 2013

Nothing But Crumby


I've finished three more crumb quilts for Quilts Beyond Borders (QBB).  I first heard about QBB from Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict as part of her Hands2Help Charity Quilt Challenge.  Since then the Sunshine Online Quilt Guild (the only guild to which I belong) has decided to also sponsor QBB in addition to Wrap-a-Smile.

I challenged myself this year to 1. Finish up some of my 73 UFOs and 2. To see how many donation quilts I can make this year from scraps.  I've been following along with the color of the month with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge  this year so that keeps me motivated. So far I've completed a donation quilt in all the colors of the month...hot pink, orange, purple, green, sapphire blue


The latest finish is a fish quilt- the Sapphire Blue Fish. Someone with Sunshine posted a link to a Flickr picture of a fish quilt and I knew that would be my next crumb project. 



With my quilting on plain Jane (my DSM) I tried to simulate waves and bubbles in the deep nether regions of the sea and did some loops in the fish.


Crumby Orange Stars is my next quilt.  You can see a secondary pattern and no stars at all if you look at it for too long.  I actually didn't think I had enough orange scraps for a quilt. Surprise, surprise! Where did all that orange come from? 


 I quilted with some orange thread I didn't even know I had in my thread drawer and made an attempt at stars and loops.  I can tell you I'm not an artist!

And this one I'll call Joseph's Amazing Technicolor Dream Quilt and it uses scraps of many colors+ muslin.



Oops...I hung it upside down! Oh, well. You can still kind of see the stars and loops I quilted it with.   And, now, after the fourth quilt I'm finally getting a little better at machine binding....just a little. Guess I'll just have to practice a lot more.



So, I've found a box just perfect for these three quilts and the Green Bear Tracks I finished last week. As soon as I get the labels sewn on they will be in the mail.

Feeling really crumby! How about you? 
May I get a Whoop, Whoop, please?  Others are whooping it up over at Confessions of a Fabric Addict. What are you whooping about? 

This Memorial Day weekend I will be working on my Quilts of Valor Quilts and doing a virtual sew along with Heartstrings.  You are welcome to join in also!! 

8 comments:

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...

These quilts are ahh-mazing! the Techicolor Dream Quilt is my favorite, but the fish quilt is really cool too. Nice touch with the pebbling "bubbles."

-Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

I'll give you a BIG whoop whoop! All of these are wonderful ;-D

Amy said...

You definitely get a whoop whoop! Love them all! You are an artist!!!

Anonymous said...

A whoop whoop and double high five, Cathy. All of them are wonderful.
blessings, jill

hetty said...

You will definitely get a Whoop Whoop from me! These are all terrific and so much fun. I love crumbs and I especially love the fish quilt!

Quilting Nonnie said...

Wowweee! Those quilts are drop-dead beautiful. The fish quilt is such a fun one. I love the stars too. You've inspired me to do some crumb quilts, heaven knows I have plenty of scraps. I'm basically a scrap quilter. I enjoy your blog and follow it through my blog reader. Job well done!

ipatchandquilt said...

Standing ovation from Europe!
You are just wonderful!

Esther
ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com
esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com

Miaismine said...

I absolutely love your fish crumb quilt! It was linked at http://thedarlingdogwood.blogspot.com/2016/08/here-fishy-fishy.html. Might you have a pattern for it? Just learning about "crumb quilts" and, as a scrap quilter and lover, I love your ideas!