Thursday, July 23, 2026

It's a Finish! Orphan Elroy

It's a finish! 
Orphan Elroy
42 x 42



It started with these four orphan blocks someone gave me.  The fancy blocks never seemed to go with any of the other orphan blocks I was given so one day in August 2025 I finally decided to use them as the center of a small medallion quilt. 

I'm never good at thinking of what to add for borders on medallion quilts. Nine Patches are pretty easy! I used a constant orange fabric and different green scraps to make them.  I wanted to alternate green and orange corner Nine Patches; however, I did not have enough of the orange fabric to do that. As it is I think I had to penny piece some orange fabric to have enough squares for the Nine Patches all with green corners.

I quilted it on my sewing machine using the points in the center blocks as a guide.  I also stitched in the ditch around the green striped border. 

And I happened to have a backing fabric in about the same colors as the center medallion blocks. I used the same fabric for binding. I thought when I made the top last year I made binding for this top with the same green stripe used in the top; however, I looked in the binding box and it is not there so I guess I used it on a different quilt. So thankfully I had enough of the backing fabric to make the binding. 

And sew on...



 

5 comments:

Tammy said...

Oh it’s so beautiful! I’ll have to keep this in mind for those blocks that don’t really go with anything else.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

The blocks are called The Arkansas Traveler. I have a die for cutting the templates on that one and made one a couple years ago. I found it hard to match a lot of the pieces. Yours looks great

nestki said...

Your quilts are amazing!

Linda Swanekamp said...

An amazing job- I never would have guessed orphan blocks were the seeds.

Anonymous said...

It’s so stimulating to take up a challenge like that—taking a sow’s ear and making it into a silk purse, so to say, when you have oddball blocks or fabric and turning them into something that is greater than the sum of its parts. Very satisfying! It’s what keeps us scrap lovers coming back for more!👍🏻☺️🤩