My husband is having a mandibulectomy one of these days if they quit moving him around on their schedule. (Right now he is scheduled for Sep. 1). Well, anyway, it will involve at least a week in the hospital which is an hour away so I will probably be an overnight visitor staying with him. I was thinking of things to take with me to do other than read books on my Kindle. I have one small box of yarn for making washcloths and dishcloths and I have a box of yarn that's been around since I used to make things like hats, scarves and sweaters for the grandkids and shawls for me (shoulders get cold in winter).
Ok, so anyway, I decided to take a look in the box of yarn thinking of making hats and eeeek! a mouse jumped out and traumatized me. Maybe I should store the yarn in plastic bin or use the yarn? Oh, yes, that's what I can do while with hubby in hospital!
I happened to come upon a Ravelry group called "For the Children of Pine Ridge and Rosebud" (actually they have projects for the elders too) and saw that one of their projects was making 300 hats for Christmas for the children at Rosebud School. So, I'm in! A use for the yarn before a mouse shreds it for a nest or something!
I decided to see if I remembered how to crochet so pulled out one of my books on hats, found my bag of hooks and pulled out some yarn and, yes, I do remember how to crochet! Now I will put yarn with patterns so I can work on hats in the hospital.
The hat above was one of my granddaughters' favorites when they were pre-teens.
This wild and crazy one should have a pom pom but I didn't have enough yarn for that so maybe down the road after I finish a few hats I will buy some yarn for pom poms and add before I send them off for Christmas.
FUN! hat. I don't see many pom-poms these days, so I'm not convinced of necessity. 'Beanie' seems to be the thing.
ReplyDeletePraying Sept 1 sticks like crazy glue!!!!!
Hats are the perfect travelling project while your husband is in the hospital. I hope his surgery goes well. Gail at the cozy quilter
ReplyDeleteI asked the expert, my 8 year old granddaughter. She said no to pompons, except sometimes! 🙂
ReplyDeleteHats are a perfect travel project. Wishing your hubby a good outcome on his surgery. (EEEKKK to the mouse. They belong outside!)
ReplyDeleteI have done a lot of knit or crochet hats and no longer put poms on them. Beanies have been the in thing, plus it is less work:)
ReplyDeleteIt seems it is the season for mice - my kitties have detained three in the last week. The crazy hat is fun and I think would look good as is, or with an added floof. But using up that yarn will be a good project while you sit with the hubby. It seems if I keep my hands busy, my mind worries less and times goes faster. I hope they stop moving the surgery and the procedure goes well.
ReplyDeletePerfect project when one is on the go. The kids in my street don't have pom-poms either. Unless, it's coming back in the trend as so many things from the 70's. ;^)
ReplyDeleteYour visiting mouse couldn't have been in residence very long if the yarn has been shredded. I've been clearing out the attic with the help of a friend. We brought down a box of long-stored clothing and I threw out much of it because the garments had been chewed, either by mice or squirrels. I've found acorn shells in the attic, so I know there have been squirrel visitors at one time. Anyway, working on some hats to donate will help occupy your time while John has his surgery and recovery. Fingers crossed they keep to the schedule this time.
ReplyDeletePat
What a fortuitous find of yarn needing to be used right when a portable project is needed! Hats are the perfect hospital project - small enough to give a feeling of accomplishment, and some occupation for nervous hands. Best wishes to your husband through all of this.
ReplyDeleteCeci