Pages

Thursday, August 6, 2026

Limes, Olives, Peas and Leafy Greens

It's a flimsy!
54 x 72

Earlier in the year I sorted a box of 5 inch squares (charms) I have received from others over the years into kits for a few different comfort quilts.  I made a top similar to this one in June with blue squares. I will also be making a brown version. 

Limes, olives, peas and leafy greens. 





And sew on...


***
Here's photos of another garden area - one of the native wildflower areas. I sowed a native wildflower mix of seeds from Prairie Moon Nursery in the Autumn two years ago. Last year and this year I have spent time continually removing woody species and noxious weeds like ragweed, dayflower, different types of cockleburs, green brier, brambles and virginia creeper. In the Autumn I will cut it all down to about six inches like I did last year. Then in year three the management involves burning sections each year. 

Here's a view from one side of the driveway. A lot of my front yard near the ditch is the native wildflower area. 

I know all the flowers look the same but the mix has Black Eyed Susans, Sweet Black Eyed Susans and Brown Eyed Susans in it.  

Mostly all the Susans are blooming now. 

But if you look closely there are other things in bloom like Anise Hyssop.

That tall mullein (verbascum) in the foreground was not in the mix but I left it. 

The thistle wasn't part of the mix either but I also left it. It and a lot of the other wildflowers has been covered with Goldfinch the last few days. 

The blue tall Bellflower was also not part of the mix but I also left it. I love it but it can become invasive; however, it is easy to pull out if it ends up taking over. 

Wild mint was not part of the mix either! 

That purple hidden back there is wild bee balm. That was part of the mix. I have another photo where it is not so hidden.

Some purple Coneflower appeared this year here and there. Some of that was in the mix. I'm going to sow more seeds in some bare spots where I pulled out a lot of weeds in the Autumn. 


A shady area is filled with wild white snakeroot. I might be pulling out some of that. If cows eat white snakeroot the toxins can build up in their milk and cause milk sickness (or trembles) in humans. Abraham Lincoln's mother, Nancy Hanks Lincoln, died of milk sickness. 

More Purple Coneflower.

There is a patch of Motherwort that appeared. I will probably reduce the patch a bit before it takes over. Motherwort is in the mint family. That is easy to tell because it has square stems. It supposedly is beneficial for women's issues. I'll pass. Well, I don't actually have any issues. 

Tall yellow coneflower. 

More Bee Balm.



View from the other end. 


My walk to the mailbox. Lately there have been a lot of goldfinch flitting about. There are other things that will bloom soon like goldenrod and asters. I have another wildflower area that is shadier. I haven't used a mix of seeds for that area but have been building it up with different native plants I've sown from seed each year. Maybe I should call it the deer and rabbit buffet instead of native wildflower area. I will maybe show that area later. Right now the pathways are a little overgrown and I need to take the weedwhacker to them. But that has not been a priority. One of these days...

And sow on...
 

6 comments:

  1. Love your gardens! I’ve been dealing with Covid of all things & haven’t even been able to water my plain little ferns on the front porch…LOL! Where do you get your energy! Beth in AL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great name for your quilt. It matches your lovely gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The green star flimsy is just charming, pun intended.... I enjoyed the garden tour! Wildflower mixes are the culprit for the spread of dame's rocket (which blooms early in the season).

    ReplyDelete
  4. That green flimsy is sure pretty with all of those charms! I too enjoyed the garden tour. The Black Eyed Susans sure make a showing when there are many!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all your greens, Cathy - both in the quilt top and in the garden area! Those are beautiful wildflowers. It's wonderful that you have attracted so many goldfinches to your yard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As always with you and scraps.....this is a terrific flimsy!

    Love the continued garden tours.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your vist and your time. I enjoy your comments and try to respond to them all although sometimes it might take me awhile!