Saturday, March 17, 2018

Those Crazy Ladies of the Lake Wearin' Green

Although I've done a lot of sewing this week not much of it was with green scraps except for these three 10 inch Lady of the Lake blocks. 

This is a Rainbow Scrap Challenge Project carried over from last year. 



Today I will celebrate my Irish ancestry.  No green beer or parties here- just the grand kids.  We will probably spend the late afternoon and early evening playing board games and I may read them a few Irish folk tales or fairy tales from some old books of mine (or have them read to me) and tell them a few stories about their Irish ancestors. My paternal ancestors emigrated during famine times from Counties Galway, Mayo and Kilkenny in Ireland and eventually all settled in Emmetsburg, Palo Alto County, Iowa.  When I first became interested in genealogy (way before the internet) I asked my paternal grandmother several times to tell me about her ancestors and each time she told me "the Irish? all they do is fight and drink. That's all I know."   I've done a lot of family research over the years and found that, yes, they did fight and drink quite a bit; however, they did do a LOT more than that in between.  

Happy St. Patrick's Day
Don't do too much fighting and drinking!

16 comments:

Libby in TN said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day! No Irish in my family. My first husband's family was so Scottish (read that anti-Irish) that he refused to wear green on SPD.

My dad's side was Welsh, mother's Scottish. Both families came early to America -- Dad's on the Mayflower and Mother's soon thereafter. The Whites (dad) stayed in New England, the Buchanans (mom) moved over time to the Midwest. Mom and Dad met over a cup of borrowed sugar.

Nann said...

No Irish for me, either -- though as the Ancestry.com ads remind us, "We all come from so many places, you never know." (I respond, "WHAT do we never know?") My mother was Scots with a little Welsh. My dad was German and English. Not as far back as the Mayflower but there are Revolutionary War ancestors. Filling in the gaps in my genealogy is one of those retirement activities I haven't yet gotten around to . . . too much quilting to be done!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those are such great blocks - lots of fun scrappiness! Happy St. Patrick's Day, Cathy!

Deb from Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Gorgeous blocks / my favorite is the middle one ! Such a pretty color combination :) Happy St. Pat's Day!

Cathy said...

Love your green Lassies o’ the Lake blocks! Great color combos! I’m rather jealous that you have genuine Irish ancestry. Mine is all Hungarian, at least back several generations. I’ll find out soon what my Ancestry DNA kit says. In the meantime, I have three kids that we named Ryan, Shane and Megan. We used to joke (when I was Cathy Flox) that their last name was O’Flox....

Ann said...

Green makes these blocks sing. I'm sure it's an Irish ballad. ;-)

gayle said...

Happy St Pat's! Looks like your crazy ladies have been into the green beer!

Linda said...

Three great blocks. My maternal grandmother was Irish 🍀 so Irish blood runs in my veins too.

Marly said...

Lovely scrappy blocks. I'm looking forward to seeing how all these blocks come together.

cityquilter grace said...

on st. patty's day everyone is irish don't you know? lol...seriously, my daughter's paternal ancestor emigrated during the famine as well, we believe, as she arrived in french canada around 1850 and her name was nora....

Quiltdivajulie said...

Gorgeous LOTL blocks!!!

Julierose said...

HAPPY ST. PATTY'S DAY TO YOU AND YOURS...We are both Irish and French Canadian...but today we celebrate our Irish heritage...we had corned beef, cabbage and potatoes--what could be better? Yum!!
I love your Lady of the Lake Blocks--I made ONE of those years ago in batik--
for a pillow for Mom...hugs, Julierose

Julie in GA said...

Happy St. Pat's to you and your family. Beautiful Lady of the Lake blocks (maybe they are Irish ladies?)

Kaja said...

I've been with the Irish when they were fighting and drinking - it has to be said there was a lot of singing too. I love the colour combinations in your green blocks, especially the middle one.

Quilter Kathy said...

I was at a celtic band concert/party last night and yes there was drinking and fighting, and they do a song called "Drink and Fight"! It was lots of fun for us to watch!

Louise said...

Sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate your ancestry! I hope you have a great weekend, full of family and fabric :)