Wednesday, February 14, 2018

It's a Finish! Birthday Wishes

 Birthday Wishes
60 x 72




My husband shoveled a path to the clothesline so I could go out and take a few photos now that the weather has warmed up just a little. 

I participated in a Birthday Club several years ago.  Members request a block for their birthday month and I requested any star in 30s reproductions on a blue background.  I was thinking these stars were from two different Birthday Clubs but now that I look at the stars it looks like I made all but about 8 of them. Most of the blocks I received were on solid blue backgrounds. I guess I'm a little wilder. 


My birthday wish was a Star sampler.  I don't know what took me so long to get this together since I only needed one more star to make a total of 30. 

I did variable width straight line quilting on my DSM in a variegated blue thread. 



 I was afraid to begin with that when the lines were closer together the quilt would be stiff. It's not.  I used a light weight 100% polyester batting and maybe that's why?  Most of the time I use Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 and I'm thinking that's a little heavier and might have made it stiffer.  Anyway, it all worked out and I like it a lot. 
For the backing I used a gingham that's a little wrinkly like seersucker but it's not seersucker. 

for 
and 

13 comments:

9658 Textiles said...

You make the best quilts! I use poly batting a lot (it makes for a snuggly quilt!). I am glad it turned out snuggly for you.

Crystal_235 said...

Congratulations on the pretty finish!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's a pretty one, Cathy! I love the variety of stars. Also love your cat in the background in the first photo! I think the cat is wondering, "When will I get a chance to snuggle in that quilt, because it's cold out here!"

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Oh this is just so pretty with those fabrics and stars. And the quilting is just right.

Andrea said...

I love it. Blues, 30s and stars, such a perfect combination. Your quilting looks terrific as well. Has opened my eyes a bit as to how good simple lines look. A perfect quilt.

Roxanne said...

That is a happy quilt! Hard to go wrong with star blocks and 30s fabrics!

Louise said...

Another lovely finish, Cathy! I wonder if the dense quilting is soft when the lines are parallel like that? Then it would kind of drape along the flow of the quilting, if that makes sense. I'm glad it turned out the way you had hoped!

mangozz said...

Very cute quilt! You must go through tons of thread with all of your sewing and quilting. Do you use any special kind?

Kaja said...

This is lovely! I like looking out all the different stars, and the way the solids, and the bits of darker red keep the eye moving about.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I have quilted 2 with lines like yours - batting Hobbs 80/20 - and while they seemed stiffer at first, they siftened winderfully when laundered. Fun, happy stars!!

Rose Marie said...

What a wonderful finish! Love those blues!

gayle said...

Beautiful bunch of stars ya got there! I hope you're keeping your birthday quilt!

Sew of Course said...

Great variety of stars, and they go so well together. Thank you for participating in the Finish-A-Long!