Sunday, February 25, 2018

A Finish! 42 Cents Forever Stamp


42 Cents Forever Stamp
74 x 92.5
hand quilted with perle #8


From the book 19th Century Patchwork Diva's Treasury of Quilts
I actually bought the book for the Sunflower pattern but got sidetracked before I got to that. 
It's not often that I make a quilt in the same colors and almost exactly like the one in the instructions but that's the way this one turned out.  I don't buy a lot of large cuts of fabric but it just so happened I had a double pink fabric that was about right as far as yardage. And I happened to have a lot of the postage stamp blocks already made and I had a lot more postage stamps already cut and stored in pencil boxes.  It was meant to be. 


That's a lot of little 1.5 inch pieces of fabric! 



I just casually (no lines drawn) quilted through the stamps on the diagonal with pink perle #8. So there are quilted vertical lines about an inch apart across the quilt. Pulling the thread through all those seams was hard on the fingers!  I had to lay it aside several times. 

I ran out of thread with five rows left to go.  I hate going out when the weather is cold and snowy if I don't have to so I made do and used some pink crochet cotton that matched pretty well for those last five rows. The crochet cotton was a thinner thread but I don't think anyone would even notice the difference. 


 And speaking of making do...I used a soft flannel sheet from the thrift store for the backing. I had to let out the seams all around in order for it to be big enough. 

This was my goal #1  on the list for 
and

This took a lot of Slow Sunday Stitching and then some. 
And Oh Scrap! 


30 comments:

Linda said...

Another great quilt. The pink flower sprigs fabric really highlights the postage stamps. Great hand quilting.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

neat pattern - you are busy all the time

Jayne said...

It is beautiful! I don't often (if ever) make a quilt like whats in the pattern/book either. I love all those tiny squares! Another gorgeous hand quilted quilt!

gayle said...

Fantastic quilt! I love anything involving itty bitty squares!
I've got that book, too, and that quilt is on my list. And the sunflowers. So many quilts, so little time...

Suzanne said...

This is an amazing quilt and an awesome accomplishment!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is a great finish! Did you keep track of just how many little 1.5 inch squares you used?

Quilting Babcia said...

Love that pink, it's the perfect setting for the postage stamp blocks.

doni said...

I love this quilt! Thanks for also posting it here on your blog. SBpictures doesn't like me!! It just keeps acting like it's going to open it, but never does. doni @ Oregon coast

Raewyn said...

Wow, beautiful finish! Happy co-incidence that you had that pink fabric there as it really does look great with all the postage stamp blocks.

Libby in TN said...

Great finish. I rarely do things like the book, either.

Rebecca in AK said...

Another great quilt finish! So many tiny squares. Don't you wish stamps were still 42 cents. My grandmother almost always used sheets for her quilt backings, I didn't know you "weren't" suppose to until I ran into the "quilt police" lol

Sue SA said...

This is a beautiful quilt and while I am not a pink fan, the colour really works with all the tiny scraps. I have the start of a collection of postage stamps, but it is still a dream LOL! Thanks for giving us all inspiration.

mangozz said...

That quilt is gorgeous Cathy! It looks almost good enough to eat. You have been finishing some seriously beautiful quilts! Now I'm getting really jealous.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

So much scrappy goodness in this quilt. Great job turning what you have on hand into something beautiful. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

PaulaB quilts said...

The double pink makes it look older, late 1800's, great. I did quick math and you have about 3,000 postage stamps there! Congrats on a charming finish.

Quilter Kathy said...

Fabulous hand quilted finish... totally delicious!
You rest up your fingers... they must be very tired and sore after all that quilting!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A beautiful quilt! I love the double pink with all those scrappy little squares, and your hand quilting will make it oh so special.

---"Love" said...

I, too, bought the book soon after you showed the quilt in process back in Dec, 2016, and I do plan to make it someday if I live long enough! I absolutely love it! Congrats on a beautiful finish! ---"Love"

Teresa said...

Pretty quilt. Nice to make do with what you had to finish the quilting.

colleen said...

Lovely quilt I think I'd like to use "fat" thread to quilt as I like the look and I hope it would like ok for a new quilter

Louise said...

Oo, very pretty! I love the huge variety of tiny scraps against that strong pink. No shrinking violets here. Great finish, Cathy! You're whipping those WIPs into shape this winter :)

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

What an awesome way to use 1 1/2 inch squares. Love the pink!

Helen in the UK said...

Fabulous scrappiness! Congrats on you finish ��

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

WOW!!! That is a knockout!!

Ann said...

This is when it really helps to precut scraps Love postage stamp blocks and double pinks. Congratulations on another beautiful finish.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Congrats on your finish--it's a fun one!!!

Emily said...

Wow!!!!! It's stunning, and I can't even imagine how many 1 1/2" squares are in there! Beautiful quilt.

KatieQ said...

This is absolutely amazing! I love it. That's a lot of tiny squares and hand quilted stitches. Thanks for sharing this quilt. It really is a treat for the eyes.

Nicole said...

I love it so much!

CapitolaQuilter said...

It is so beautiful and such a tribute to the original. Great that the pink worked out and the back make do a perfect floral. Congrats. And on behalf of all our hosts, thank you for joining in the Finish-A-Long!