Thursday, January 18, 2018

One Thing Leads to Another

Just for something different I like to try to make a few Block Lotto blocks every month.  

This month's Block Lotto block, Put a Frame Around It,  calls for some bright solids.  

While I was looking for some bright solid scraps I came across a lot of various sized pieces of pink solid scraps in a box of "girl scraps" - most left over from making clothes, quilts and pillowcases for the granddaughters when they were younger.  Rather than just use a piece of pink in a Block Lotto block I decided to use the pink scraps to make an entire quilt using the Block Lotto block because also in the girl scrap box were some bits and pieces of princess/castle scraps.  I had a bit of purple solid left over from making my pansy quilt top that was sitting out and so a little donation quilt top was born. 


It's been too cold to go out to the clothesline to take pics so I hung it over the quilt rack in the guest bedroom.  I should have closed the curtain...I didn't need a ray of sunshine in the picture.

It will probably be quite awhile before I get this quilted and before then I may add a pink/purple frame type border to the entire quilt similar to the frame in  each block to make the quilt a little bigger. Right now it measures 36 x 54 and I usually like to make the donation quilts for kids about 40 x 60.  I'm about out of pink solids so time will tell whether or not it gets a border. 

9 comments:

Libby in TN said...

Some little princess is going to LOVE this quilt!

Linda said...

What a great quilt. Amazing what you create from scraps. Haven't seen this sort of block before, the solids really set off the different fabric squares.

gayle said...

Amazing! There you go again, pulling a quilt out of thin air!

mangozz said...

That quilt is adorable Cathy! Some little girl is going to be thrilled to receive it. What about using a purple print for a border if you need to get it done sooner?

Louise said...

The Lotto blocks have a very Mondrian, modern vibe that would appeal to an adult, but your version will be adored by a kid. To be honest, it's more appealing to me, too. Much as I like to think I have minimalist tendencies, I love bright and kitchy!

Cathy said...

impressive quilt... or magic trick. Or both! Only you could whip up a spur-of-the-moment quilt so lively and quick! (I knew in a moment it must be St. Cath!)

Ann said...

Yes, they look like a Mondrian. A border would be a good idea to make them larger.

Adventurous Quilter said...

I loved this block in both the solids and your fabulous pink quilt 😍

Ellen said...

Really cute quilt! I like this block a lot and I am participating this month as well. I think it will make a great quilt to practice some custom quilting on. :)